Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1866 Cowboy Outlaw Repeater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1866 Cowboy Outlaw Repeater
    Posted: November-11-2019 at 11:35am
Anybody have any hands on experience with this one?
It's on e-bay for about $60 and Pyramid Air for about $70.
Looks good, and description is impressive????

Marv, NW OH
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 12:16pm
I saw it too. Looks pretty good but like you, no idea of how it shoots, etc. I'll be watching...

Meanwhile, I read the single review of this rifle at PA. In it they say the receiver is plated plastic. If true, durability might be an issue. I suppose time will tell. Photos are also from PA https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Barra_Cowboy_Series_1866_177_BB_Pellet_Air_Rifle/5007

Airgun Depot lists it as a "Bear River Cowboy Series 1866".

Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 12:29pm
Almost looks a bit " Steampunk " , and I mean that as an OK thing , saw one the other day online but then of course I went into the whole - how do I change up the side lever loading bolt to fit flush and look like an original ...instead of the punk deal .....overthinking again LOL , may have to get one  but sure want to see how the plastic receiver works out as far as finish , Daisy and Crosman went plastic receivers on there pump ups years ago and out of the many I have had only 2 were ever broken and both done by the Post Office so durability should not be an issue , just the " plated " finish , if someone gets one please give a shout . 
Realshooter
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 1:25pm
There's a fair to good chance this gun is based on the powerplant of the Bear River Sportsman 9000 MPP. It sells for $35 from the BR website, so the 1866 is considerably more money, at least relatively speaking. And I agree the receiver is probably tough, it's the finish durability that concerns me. Maybe use a clear "wrap" of adhesive backed clear plastic film? Would look like a hot mess but might preserve it during use.
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 5:20pm
I think it looks like a great western gun. And price is very low in comparison to similar types of western styled lever action looking airguns (i.e. Legends Lever Action & Walther lever Action). 

I have one on order. Although I'm not really a fan of multi-pump air rifles, I feel I need one for my collection of western styled lever action air rifles, that includes eleven Daisy/Sears 1894, a Legends Cowboy Lever Action & a Crosman 99. It is a unique item. Looks more like the early Henry & Winchester Rifles, that the Winchester 1894, that most of the others air rifles are based on.

Don't see the plastic being a problem, as Daisy made the 1894 with plastic receiver & lever since the mid-1990's.
Spoke with customer services at Bear River Outdoors. They confirmed it's internals are based on the Sportsman 900. They advised it is a brand new product, only introduced in later part of October. It should be on their website soon, and videos should also be out soon. They say maximum velocity between 620-800 fps, depending on pellet used, which is really impressive for a low cost rifle. They advised not to pump it more than 10 times. But only need 2-5 pumps for indoor shooting. They said contrary to what is on the Pyramyd website, that the barrel is not rifled.
Not really a lever action rifle, as lever is for pumping it up. More of a semi-bolt action.

But all in all, in my opinion, it's a must buy, if you are into the western styled air rifles.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 8:35pm
Looks UGLY to me, but that's just my persona taste (or lack thereof).
Be Prepared
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 9:20pm
Maybe don't compare it to the Winchester 1894. Instead, compare it to the Henry 1860 or Winchester 1866 Yellow Boy.
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 10:09pm
I can add that I have  a few Bear River guns and all are pretty darn nice ,they do a good job of faking wood on there grips and the 900 is a keeper for sure , if I get one I will give a review on it if y'all will be interested , and I won't be stepping on toes as it isn't even a cousin of the fine folks at Daisy . 
Realshooter
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 12:16am

Got to give credit to Bear River, for their commitment to the introduction of western airguns. They started with the replica of the Smith & Wesson Schofield No. 3, CO2 BB/Pellet shell loading revolver. This gun may be best remembered as the gun used by Clint Eastwood in the last gunfight of his last western movie (Unforgiven).

The Cowboy 1866 seems to continue their western line of airguns.

Maybe one of the formerly largest producers of western styled airguns, Daisy, will take note. Daisy previously was the leader in this area, with a number of western styled lever rifles, pistols, and even coach guns. Now it just has one, the Red Ryder.  
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 8:58am
I also would like to give credit to Bear River for their airguns. The quality of the DA revolver I got on a whim from WM (reg. price $80.00, on sale for $19.00 plus tax!!) was actually FAR better than I expected. Very realistic, fully adjustable rear sights, solid, all metal construction (except grips) and reasonably accurate for a smoothbore revolver. I don't have it any longer, but if I ever come across an affordable single action BR, I'd buy it w/o hesitation.

On the DA revolver I had, they went as far as "rifling" the barrel cover to make it look as though it was a large bore (.41 cal.) revolver!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic