Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1938 saddle ring and staple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1938 saddle ring and staple
    Posted: June-24-2022 at 8:10pm
This is my first post here so I want to start with hello. I recently got the bug to refinish some of my Daisys from the 1970s. I have three model 96 and a No.1938. My question is about the Red Ryder saddle ring and staple. It is missing and I have been unable to find a schematic that shows how this was attached in 1975. I know the staple was metal and had the receiver has two round holes side by side. It doesn’t go to through the gun like a 111-40. The newer 1938b and a have vertical holes and a different style staple. I am wondering if any one had a loose staple from a 1938 that they could share a picture of or point me in the direction of a schematic that shows how it was attached. Thanks in advance. Tim
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 9:54pm
Hi Tom.   I see that you are from my old home town.   Well, if your Red Ryder is the one I'm thinking of, the staple is made of a band of
flat steel and is bent over inside of the receiver. But the ones I've seen had square holes, not round. A modern staple should fit in the round holes weather horizontal or vertical.
I've seen all varieties of the Red Ryder with missing staples.   Sometimes a lot of fun equals a little abuse.   Sorry bud that I don't have a spare for you unless you want to try a new plastic staple. I'd be happy to hook you up. If all else fails you can try to fab one.   Yinz can get my email address from my profile.
Air-It-Is
Tbrom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 10:10pm
Thanks. I want to fab one but wondered how they did it originally. The original as I recall was a round stock just like the ring itself. I have thought of threading round stock or have several other ides in mind. I considered several options but really would like to know/see how it was done originally!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 11:04pm
Russ, he's talking about the "No. 1938 Red Ryder Carbine"- you know, the one made 1972 to 1979. It was the Red Ryder right before the 1938B became the only 'Ryder available.

You did a thread on that type of saddle ring (link below), except for a 111-40. Maybe the same procedure could be used to attach the saddle ring "bracket" inside the receiver, but there may be a problem with having enough room for the nut to attach it. Maybe solder or epoxy would hold it...

Shane's videos are here. If you like them- which you probably will- you can show support by subscribing and hitting "like":  https://www.youtube.com/c/RestOModDaisy/videos 

He has 2 on doing the saddle ring on a model 94. He calls them latigos. This shows the early type 94 that goes through the receiver like a 111-40. The later 94s are just like the No. 1938Daisy Model 94 Latigo loop removal part 1 and Daisy Model 94 Latigo loop reattachment part 2

Edited 6-25-22
Tbrom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 11:40pm
Thanks for the links. I could also tigweld it permanently! JB weld would be removable. Cobalt I believe I have purchased springs for a couple of model 96 from you on eBay.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2022 at 2:06am
I appreciate your business- thank you. If you can tig weld it, that would mean no worries about any clearance issues from using a nut, since the attachment is inside the receiver. You'd probably want to use some cool blue or similar heatsink material to protect the finish.
Tbrom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2022 at 8:10am
I would like to see how it was done originally. Before marking any permanent changes.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2022 at 9:12am
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

Russ, he's talking about the "No. 1938 Red Ryder Carbine"- you know, the one made 1972 to 1979. It was the Red Ryder right before the 1938B became the only 'Ryder available.

You did a thread on that type of saddle ring (link below), except for a 111-40. Maybe the same procedure could be used to attach the saddle ring "bracket" inside the receiver, but there may be a problem with having enough room for the nut to attach it. Maybe solder or epoxy would hold it...

Shane's videos are here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/RestOModDaisy/videos<span style="font-size: medium;"> </span>
<span style="font-size: medium;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: medium;">He has 2 on doing the saddle ring on a model 94. He calls them </span><i style="font-size: medium;">latigos<span style="font-size: medium;">: </span><span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", "serif"; -: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial;">[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nojfskA068&t=84s]<font size="3" style="]Daisy Model 94 Latigo loop removal part 1[/URL]<span style="font-size: 14pt;"> and </span></span>Daisy Model 94 Latigo loop reattachment part 2

Thanks, Mark, for the clarification.   I know what it's about now.   About the nuts, it is possible to shave or grind them thinner if needed. I've even made thin nuts by using a piece of steel just thick enough to support a couple threads and then tap into it. There's always a way!
Air-It-Is
Old george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2022 at 12:45pm
Hi guys I make one out of a nail I picked up at Ace Hardware I found one that would fit the whole perfect and I got a couple of them and made the ring and I made the staple worked out great might try that have a great day. Old George
Tbrom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2022 at 1:12pm
Airitis what part of Pa are you now from? I am actually north of the city

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic