Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200 - the only true semi auto Daisy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 - the only true semi auto Daisy?
    Posted: June-07-2017 at 3:09pm
While I was working on my now non-functioning 200, I had a bit of a surprise.  The 200 is apparently one of the very few true semi-automatic bb guns I'm aware of!  Unless I'm wrong (always a possibility), that puts the lowly 200 in the same design category as the Crosman 677!  Up until now I thought that was the only older true bb 'semi'.  

To explain, most semi-automatic bb guns are really double action revolvers in disguise.  That is to say, the first part of the trigger pull is used to move the bb from the magazine into battery, and then the rest of the pull releases the shot.  It doesn't matter if the magazine is linear like in the 74, or circular like the M-14 Winchester, the energy to 'reload' is part of the trigger pull.  That's why they all have such long , comparatively heavy trigger pulls.

On the 200, I found that when you pull the trigger, that act doesn't move the elevator into battery.  It just nudges the elevator into a position from where the action (under co2 pressure) moves it the rest of the way into battery and fires the shot.  The release of the shot allows the elevator to be pushed back down to retrieve the next bb, and also primes the action to be ready to repeat the cycle.  That's why the 200's trigger pull is relatively short and crisp.

These days there are lots of true semi-automatic bb guns.  Most are of the blowback slide action variety.  I'm curious, though, can anyone else think of any older true-semi bb guns?  

It really is a shame some other poor decisions were made with the design.  In my opinion, this little gun deserves some engineering kudos!

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 9:51pm
There's someone on one of the forums who has remedied the troubles w/sealing that plagued the CO2 200. I think the rework involves parts from the 1200. Maybe someone here can fill in the details. But I agree- the 200 was a neat pistol when it worked. Not the most powerful or accurate, but a lot of fun. It felt good in the hand too.
John in N.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John in N.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 10:05pm
If you want it rebuilt look up Jimmie on search, the guy beat the odds by conquering these "unrepairable" guns. He wouldn't take no for an answer and now rebuilds them without breaking a sweat, the guy is one determined dude. This also includes the Daisy 300 rifle and possibly the 100 pistol as well.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 10:11pm
I believe that's who I was remembering, here's a related thread: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/topic4730&OB=DESC.html. To add to that, this thread has some clear photos of the gun and seals disassembled along w/other info: http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/thread/1198699938/1/Help%21+Daisy+200

But getting Jimmie to deal w/it would be a wise move IMHO. If he's doing them, I'd not even bother disassembling it- just send it as-is to be repaired.
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 5:20pm
As fortune would have it, I'd found the instructions on how to get inside before I found Jimmie, and curiosity had already gotten the best of me.  If I really have killed the gun (I wound up putting a hole in the screen behind the piercing pin), I'll call it tuition, and start looking for another one to buy.  

But then again, without having gone down that path, I wouldn't have figured out that it was a true semi, either!  I appreciate the gun a lot more now that I found that out.  So, good with bad.

I definitely agree that if anyone wants work done on a 200, Jimmie is the person to seek out!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic