Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

35th Anniversary RR fail.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 35th Anniversary RR fail.
    Posted: January-22-2018 at 10:17am
Bought two Daisy 35th Anniversary Christmas Dream Red Ryders. Gave one to my sweetheart and she loved it. Yesterday, while she was out shooting it, the metal cocking handle began to fail to fully set the plunger back on the trigger sear. When I removed it I found it severely worn
at the tip that engages the plunger. Looked like someone chewed it up on a grinder. Replaced it with a spare plastic handle. I'll mail it back to Daisy today for a replacement. They might want to hire an engineer or two to run some tests on these parts prior to market. I put this event into the same catagory as their oversize Premium BBs that will jam your gun. Don't expect them to say anything but,"sorry for your inconvenience".
rexron911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexron911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2018 at 6:54pm
Wow, Let me know what happens!
Okay, Black Bart, now you get yours!!!
Daily shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2018 at 10:22pm
I will. I first class it to Daisy this past Monday. The plastic lever I replaced it with has so far not failed.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 8:08pm
Daisy mailed a new metal RR cocking lever without apology or explanation. Started testing it today. So far, no problems. If this one wears out, I'll post it here.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2018 at 11:11pm
Update on the metal replacement cocking lever:
It failed today just as the original one did. The contact
Surface has worn down so much that it will not move the
Plunger far enough to the rear to engage the trigger sear.
So, it goes back to Daisy for a third try. Bad casting, I suspect
in that the metal is too soft. Stay tuned.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 2:34am
The cocking effort of an unmodified current production RR is 11 lb 14 oz. If your gun measures much above that, there's something else wrong.

If you have a gram scale, weigh the new unworn lever and we can compare it to a NOS lever I bought a year or so ago. It is made of zinc alloy and has the plastic insert, it weighs 166.01g.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 11:08am
The RR was a gift for my girlfriend. It's Christmas Dream
No. 934. Cocking effort is smooth and easy as her other RR. Don't have
a gram scale but that's a good idea. I will try an older metal lever. Perhaps
It's a faulty plunger assembly. Thanks for your ideas, Cobalt.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 5:57pm
That is a real problem. I used to think that the metal levers were better and the plastic were just a cost saving move. I have noticed, however, that old metal levers vary in weight and typically show more wear than the plastic ones...even older plastics with a lot of usage. If your lady is going to use this one much, maybe saving the original lever for posterity and replacing it with the plastic one for regular use is an option.
Air-It-Is
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daily shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 8:47pm
Thanks , I have done that but still feel Daisy owes me another. And will test an older metal lever.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 9:07am
Thanks for posting. Like Aritis I would have thought the plastic would fail first. I have a few broken aluminum levers but never had one worn enough it wouldn't cock the gun. 
Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic