Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

840 Grizzly repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RD Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 840 Grizzly repair
    Posted: December-07-2021 at 2:42pm
Gun makes pressure but you can hear it whizzing away as you try to pump it. How do I fix it?  Is there any trick similar to an alcohol flush that will stop this?
RD Davis
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2021 at 8:41pm
If you're lucky, it just needs a fresh O-ring on the piston. But if the pressure is being lost through the shot tube, it's the exhaust valve. IIRC Daisy quit carrying them.
RD Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RD Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2021 at 7:16am
OK, thanks for the help!
RD Davis
RD Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RD Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2021 at 7:55am
Well, I tried that and it did help, the gun will actually shoot sometimes now, but it didnt fix it. I wonder if it is leaking thru the top of the piston?
RD Davis
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2021 at 7:04pm
I wouldn't think there's be a hole in the piston, but it is plastic so I suppose it could happen. You have oiled the piston, right?
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2021 at 8:40pm
I hate to sound pessimistic but....I seem to recall that a pressure leak in the 840s, as was in mine, is often caused by a crack in the clear plastic assembly.   It is hard to detect, and even harder to repair.   What's worse, Daisy doesn't have them to sell.
I hope that's not your problem.    
Air-It-Is
RD Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RD Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 8:18am
Turns out that is the problem. I put it under magnification and could clearly see a c couple of cracks. I cleaned it with alcohol and super glued it, and it may have helped a little but didnt fix it. I had a friend who could have made me a new one out of metal, but he is no longer with us, RIP Edsel.

I have wondered if I could find a steel slug and glue that right on the end and repair it that way?

I KNOW this gun isnt worth much money and I could probably sell it on Ebay as parts or repair for more money than I could even if I could repair it, but it has become a challenge to me.
RD Davis
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 6:14pm
RD, sorry for the loss of your friend.

If you do arrange an effective repair please inform all of us of the details. You never know when another 340 will need repair.   I have 3 that work....for now anyway.
Air-It-Is
RD Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RD Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 7:29am
I have another friend who has a lathe and a milling machine and loves a good challenge, maybe I'll ask him to machine a new one for me. I doubt he is as good as Edsel on these tools, but he is by far the most mechanically minded man I have ever known.

When I used to put together farm machinery from a book of directions, stuff like combine headers, I would read a line, try to make sense of it and then go back and read it again, look back at the parts, and go read again over and over till I finally figured it out, Jim came back there before and  took the book and he could read a line of directions ONE time, and point out exactly what I should do.

RD Davis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic