Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

840 seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 840 seals
    Posted: June-02-2020 at 3:40pm
Does anyone know about the seals in an 840? I'm working on one. I can't tell if it had been taken apart prior to my wrenching on it but the only evident seals are 2 o'rings.   I did the usual soaking trick, of course, with no luck.   Also trying to run down an exploded parts view.   

It's not a bad specimen, for the shape it's in. Lol. I'd like to see it hold pressure.   Any thoughts?
Air-It-Is
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 4:17pm
It could be the valve stem but most likely  a hairline crack in the valve area , I have had a few and all have had the whole crack deal , bought them used and people had used silicone oil which of course many plastics don't like .
Realshooter
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Dannop2 Dannop2 wrote:

It could be the valve stem but most likely  a hairline crack in the valve area , I have had a few and all have had the whole crack deal , bought them used and people had used silicone oil which of course many plastics don't like .

How obvious were your hairline cracks?   I can't seem to see any but maybe it's not big enough for my eyes.   I was thinking the thin metal tube might be stretched at the base or maybe the o'ring on the piston.   It feels like it has pressure moving down but then looses it at the end of the stroke. Did yours act like that?
Air-It-Is
Dannop2 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2020 at 10:20am
My cracks have been easy to see with a pair of thicker glasses , have you replaced any of the O'ring yet ? , seems like there is a small one inside the valve like the 880/881's you may need to look at , J.G. Airguns used to have a whole assembly available  and pretty sure Daisy has one too , not sure how much you want to put in it , they are pretty fun guns .
Realshooter
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2020 at 12:06pm
Other than the two large orings, the valve has a soft seated head.   I might try to fuss with it a little more.   I could afford to invest a little bit into it.   Here's why:

It's a camo pattern Grizzly. Nice graphics.   No rear sight but railed for a scope.   (I have scopes) best of all, I bought it as a parts gun for pocket cheap. No matter what, it won't owe me anything.
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2020 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Dannop2 Dannop2 wrote:

My cracks have been easy to see with a pair of thicker glasses , have you replaced any of the O'ring yet ? , seems like there is a small one inside the valve like the 880/881's you may need to look at , J.G. Airguns used to have a whole assembly available  and pretty sure Daisy has one too , not sure how much you want to put in it , they are pretty fun guns .

I agree.   They are fun little guns.   I have another Grizzly and a regular 840. I reassembled but no improvement.   Since it's not my only one I think I'll part it out.   Already thinking of what kind of project to use it for.   
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 1:20pm
I had an 840 that wasn't holding pressure for very long and if I'm remembering correctly, I seem to recall leaving the left receiver half off and spraying it with soapy water from a spray bottle to see where the leak was coming from. In my case, it was leaking past the valve stem.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic