Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Christmas Story movie gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Christmas Story movie gun
    Posted: January-11-2021 at 3:22pm
I'm sure most of us have heard many tales about how Daisy made a gun that never existed for the movie A Christmas Story. Also, that the Christmas Story Museum recently paid $10,000 for Ralphie's old blue.
So, I have a survey question for you.  Take a look at the photos of the gun at the website below and report what you see.  Is the frame an early 1940s No. 111, Model 40 frame, or is it an early Model 1938 frame? 

Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 5:13pm
It definitely is a 111/40, not a 1938, it is stamped "Plymouth Mich.  on the frame. Also there is no Lot No., or Reg No. below the stamping (I think that is where they put that).  
As shown in second close-up photo
Regards,
Rick (known to be wrong sometimes - LOL)

Rick
Aim Straight
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 5:15pm
I think it was an early NO 1938 not model 1938 or the old 111-40. The NO1938 would have been readily available
Stevec
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 5:19pm
Well, in my very humble opinion, the front sight and low lever bolt look almost identical to one of my 111 40s.   

I've always believed that the gun on the web site was not the one Ralphie used on camera.   I do believe Daisy produced 6 guns from spare parts.   Who knows what is the source?
Air-It-Is
oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 5:25pm
Without doing any homework I'll go with  a Red Ryder 111-40 - First Model, noted the rear sight is adjustable, small screw on top of receiver, pinched  bands .

Ejwills.
Ejwills
Dazycrazy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 7:28pm
I believe the gun Ralphie falls asleep holding in the end scene is the 10k gun purchased by the museum which to me looks to be a first varient copper band. It is not however the one ralphie takes out the box Christmas morning. That one looks to be a 1938. It had to look brand new so that 10k gun did not fit the bill. The compass was crudely installed and the gun looks to me an old first varient copper band. The gun shown in the scenes looks like a 1938 going by where the lever screw is located...
Like Rick said I've been wrong before.
Just my two cents
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 7:36pm
FYI,   I saw an interview with someone from Daisy who stated that the copper bands were painted, not plated.
Air-It-Is
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 7:41pm
Airitis, you are absolutely correct.  The bands were painted.

Star   
Steve
Dazycrazy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 8:44pm
They were indeed painted.. as we know, a 1938 didn't have copper bands... Notice the location of the lever screw. Tells the story.
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 10:19pm
Look at the location of the cocking lever screw, it is definitely a No. 111 Model 40.
Pat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic