Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Christmas Story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2018 at 11:02pm
Love this. I typically have it on all day on Christmas while family is over. This year we're celebrating on the 22nd though. My son's birthday is the 23rd so we have events that day for it.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2018 at 9:36am
I think it might be great to use the Chat feature on this forum site. I've never seen anyone in there but it could be faster to follow comments. Any thoughts?
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 9:57am
Okay boys and girls, tonight's the night! 10pm eastern, 7pm pacific and all yinz folks in the middle know what that translates to in your time zones.

Get the popcorn and your Red Ryder's ready. Let's cheer Ralphie on as he lobbies for that icon of all Christmas gifts. (Bunny pj's optional)

We'll meet here then, and don't be sticking your tongues on no flag poles!!   
Air-It-Is
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 10:08pm
Higbees. Yeah
Air-It-Is
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 12:10pm
It is usually on all day at our house too.
Still fun to watch.
Gary

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 5:36pm
I went looking for photos or stills of the movie 'Red Ryder' and found a museum of sorts that claim to have one of the original movie guns. I immediately saw it was a 1940-'41 copper band RR w/the sundial and compass installed in the stock. But when I copied a shot from the movie clip, I see what looks like a different lever pivot screw position on the movie gun which looks to be the newer high pivot style. The copper band gun has the older, lower pivot. Then the rear sights seem to be different- the gun from the movie clip has a narrow notch, the copper band guns have a wide "double" notch.  I don't have a shot of the right side of the movie gun but I'm betting there's no evidence of the attachment for the saddle ring like there is on the 111-40 RR. They supposedly paid $10K for the copper band gun, would be a shame if it wasn't legit.

Narrow notch rear sight on movie gun, same as on a 1972-'79 No. 1938 RR Carbine

111-40 Red Ryder copper band rear sight

Movie gun lever pivot (hard to see, forum limits size but if it's magnified enough it's clearer

Another shot of movie gun pivot

Lever pivot comparison- not the museum or movie guns

Saddle ring attachment rivet not seen on the No. 1938 Red Ryder- it is only seen on the 111-40 Red Ryder
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 6:14pm
I'm quite sure the RR used for the movie was a 1938. It looked like the original 111 model 40 but with some slight and some major differences. Wink
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 8:14pm
That would now be my best guess, too, especially after seeing the lever screw location clearly when Ralphie was laying in the snow after being hit by the ricochet. Yesterday I was talking with airitis about him making a copy of the movie gun and I had raised the possibility of using the No. 1938 RR Carbine as the starting point because it seemed to be very close to the movie gun, but we weren't sure if it was a painted gun or blued or of what lever the movie gun used.

So it would seem the museum I linked to above paid $10K for a gun that's worth less than the ~ $200- $300 a good condition 1940-'41 copper band Red Ryder is worth because the original stock has been butchered. For a place that's supposed to be an authority on the subject that's a heck of a big screw up IMO.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2018 at 9:55am
I also took a look at the movie gun, (I'm gonna do some more scrutinizing of the movie footage) and found that the saddle ring staple set in holes that are punched horizontally. Newer guns are vertical, meaning one above the other.

Ralphie's stock has the RR logo on the left. I can't quite tell if the forearm is wood or plastic but as I said, further examination is needed. I know that since the movie guns were produced specifically for the filming (more than one were produced) there is a question if each were exact copies of the others.

Because one of my family had a personal tragedy during the movie event, we cut the festivities short. I will get back to it soon.
Air-It-Is
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2018 at 2:11pm
Sorry to hear of that Russ. Wishing you well.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic