Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accuracy of smoothbore BB gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotejoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accuracy of smoothbore BB gun
    Posted: March-16-2020 at 2:40pm
  Just curious, I've seen reports of excellent groups from a Daisy 499 but always fired at the distance of 5 meters or 5 yards. I'm wondering how that accuracy might hold up at 10 meters. I've been a life long  fan of muzzleloading firearms and I know that often a smoothbore gun may shoot rifle-like groups out to 50 yards but then the "knuckleball" effect kicks in and groups open dramatically at longer ranges. Just wondering if anyone has tested a Daisy 499 at 10 meters or more.
Life is too short for delayed gratification.
coyotejoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotejoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 3:40pm
I found my answer on Pyramyd Air's "Airgun Academy" In a test of Crossman's CO2 carbine.
Last group
I knew that several of you would ask me what a Daisy 499 would do at 10 meters as a comparison, so I shot one group to see. I used Daisy Match Grade Avanti Precision Ground Shot because the 499 is made for it. Ten BBs went into a group that measures 0.486-inches between centers, so the 499 is still the clear champion of the BB gun world. These BBs did drop over two inches below the aim point at 10 meters.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 9:06pm
Did you know a current production 1938B Red Ryder spring installed into the 499B in place of the stock spring increases the MV from about 240 fps to 425 fps?Shocked It has a VERY efficient powerplant.
coyotejoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotejoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2020 at 9:23am
I'm not surprised. Since the 499 is designed for youth competition at 5 meters, reduced recoil and cocking effort would seem to take precedence over power. Now if one wanted to use it for backyard pest control 425 fps would flatten trajectory and increase lethality.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic