Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adult Size Red Ryder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adult Size Red Ryder?
    Posted: February-20-2021 at 6:43am
PA has them spec's at 400 fps, that sounds pretty good, I have a standard late model with the stronger spring and it is surprisingly accurate, I'm thinking I may need one of these?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 5:02pm
I would be skeptical of 400 fps... VERY skeptical.
ncairman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncairman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 5:40pm
Yes I agree with cobalt on this, as the one I sold was only shooting around 250 fps. I took a new Blue 1999 from 245-250 fps to about 350-360 fps with cobalt327 spring and air tube. It is called Blue Cobalt now. Very happy with his hp spring/air tube and I admit I enjoy shooting the regular size more than I did the adult Red Ryder. But my friend loves it.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 7:37pm
I know I seldom discuss power enhancement here. There are others with more to offer.   But, if you're interested in bringing up performance, you can and should use one of cobalt's super springs.   Just don't rely on that feature alone.   Friction can mean a lot.   The spring rides along the inner shift. Polish the shaft as much as possible, along it's length, not across or around the circumstance.   After all, the spring rides in that direction.   If a washer is used on the moving end of the spring, it should be smooth on the inside also.   Use enough lube but don't over grease.   

Remember, friction reduces speed.   Speed forces the piston. A fast stroke builds pressure.... You all see where this is going.
Air-It-Is
ncairman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncairman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 8:08pm
Airitis you made some good points, and I should keep my beginner advice to myself. Thanks  
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 9:29pm
I have one of his springs, they really work great for a power increase, it looks like the only difference is the stock size. Thanks
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 7:51am
Thank you all for the feedback, it's very gratifying to hear folks are enjoying their springs. I tend to not mention them much, seeing as how this site is more about collecting, and I wouldn't want to promote modifying a classic Daisy, even though a spring swap is reversible. But it's open season on the 1938B, 105B, 1999, etc. as far as I'm concerned.

ncairman, I like the 'Blue Cobalt' tag! I did the same as you did to my 1999 (it's camo, came from Daisy during one of their promos they send out every so often). It's also a hammer, and it gets as many comments from onlookers as my full-on custom stocked 1938B!

I've not held the adult Red Ryder to know how it feels, but it's probably similar to my custom stocked Red Ryder in that it's wider and longer. But there's a lot to be said for a light, easy to maneuver Daisy having a thinner stock and a bit more length of pull. Either way, it's great to have choices!
FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 8:39am
I have a few BB guns, and the late model (I think 2015) one I have is seriously accurate, 15 yard shots on a 1 in. target are doable all day long, wherever they source those barrels is doing a good job. I had a 499, and my RR is about 90% of that. Cobalt's spring really flattens the trajectory on the gun. I wish they would have made the Winchester pump gun from metal/wood, I would probably have one now, they look pretty nice.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 10:38am
I can add a little info on 1938B shot tubes. This also pertains to the other "B-type" Daisys that have the same length barrels. And I suspect this will hold true for the short barreled 'B' guns like the 105B Buck and similar guns.

1938B Red Ryders made up until about 2005 used shot tubes that have a visible seam and no crown. Some of these are relatively accurate and some may even be outstanding, but on average they are less accurate than the newer guns having shot tubes that are made of seamless tubing and are crowned. The seamless tubing has a tighter fit to the BB so accuracy and MV is potentially better, all else being equal. And being crowned is also a plus.

To tell which a gun has, simply shine a light into the end of the barrel plug/front sight and if it has a seam, you will see it.

As a side note, about a year ago I bought a couple shot tubes from Daisy and darned if they weren't made with seamed tubing! I returned them. A few months later I reordered and they were back to seamless tubing, and as far as I know they have been seamless ever since. 

The photos compare seamed and seamless tubes.

FREEBIRD View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEBIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2021 at 7:25am
My variant is in fact the seamless barrel, great inf,o these are indeed very good performing barrels by DaisySmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic