Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adult sized stock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiley-X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adult sized stock?
    Posted: November-11-2020 at 6:29pm
As I mentioned in my other thread, I now own a Red Ryder BB gun.  The problem is that the stock is designed for kids (no surprise there).  Does anyone sell an adult sized stock or have plans for one that I could have my woodworking friend make? 

BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 6:45pm
Might consider getting an Adult Red Ryder. 

They are now making the RR with larger stock & metal lever. 

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Adult_Red_Ryder_BB_Rifle_177/4911

Might be a less expensive option.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 8:09pm
Here's another option.   Buy a wooden stair tread at the hardware store.   They are 1 inch thick.   Trace the RR stock onto the tread and extend the top and bottom lines to your desired length.   After cutting the blank, sand both sides where the stock enters the back of the receiver.   The original stock is about 7/8 inch. Don't forget to crown the top.

If you're routing or chiseling the groove for the lever into the bottom of the grip. It's just over 1/4 inch.

Good luck and have fun!
Air-It-Is
Wiley-X View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiley-X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by BB1Shooter BB1Shooter wrote:

Might consider getting an Adult Red Ryder. 

I didn't know that such things existed.  I wonder if the receiver is the same which would mean that I could just buy the stock from Daisy.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 9:20am
Yes, just the stock is different.
If, like me, you are not very handy it is the easy option.
Gary
Wiley-X View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiley-X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Bavaria55n Bavaria55n wrote:

Yes, just the stock is different.
If, like me, you are not very handy it is the easy option.

Thanks.  I'm pretty handy but mostly with mechanical things:  brakes, faucets, wiring.  I havent's done much in the way of woodworking.   

I'll call Daisy and see what they want for a stock.   If it's too much, I'll enlist the help of a friend who has table saw, routers, and such.  
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 4:21pm
Just talked to Daisy yesterday...same concern...they will NOT sell just the adult stock. You have to buy the complete gun. 
If you use the suggestion from Air-it-is and use that stair tread suggestion, ask your buddy how much he would charge to make one for me...could cut at least 4 maybe 6 from one tread.
I googled LOWES and see treads sell for anywhere from $8 to way over $100...WOW !!!! for a piece of wood that is 48 inches long !!!
Marv, NW OH
MarvMar View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 4:30pm
Here's another choice...
GOOGLE 
                   Chief AJ adult size stock
You can get the stock (unfinished) and the big loop lever for about $40.
Check out all the options...the stock alone might be available.
I bought the set several years ago and after some extensive sanding, have a pretty nice gun.
Marv, NW OH
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 4:33pm
There was a fellow on the forum that made custom stocks for the RR. But I'm not sure if he is still active. Others on the forum many have more info. 

It would be interesting to know if Daisy would sell the adult sized stock as a separate part.  

Otherwise, I agree with Gary. Can't see how it would not be simpler (& cheaper) to just buy an adult RR. At only around $50, it is less than $30 more than the regular RR. Don't think any wood worker could make a similar quality stock for that price. Plus the adult RR has a metal lever vs. a plastic one. 

Maybe go down to your local store that carries both RRs and see the difference for yourself. I did at my local Cabela's. 

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by MarvMar MarvMar wrote:

Just talked to Daisy yesterday...same concern...they will NOT sell just the adult stock. You have to buy the complete gun. 
If you use the suggestion from Air-it-is and use that stair tread suggestion, ask your buddy how much he would charge to make one for me...could cut at least 4 maybe 6 from one tread.
I googled LOWES and see treads sell for anywhere from $8 to way over $100...WOW !!!! for a piece of wood that is 48 inches long !!!

Just one more point on the stair tread. Some of them are made from several pieces of wood that are glued together to make the right size.   Those are "paint grade" and don't stain as one slab would.   Of course, this is only important if a uniform stain finish is vital to you.   Just saying.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic