Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air tube soldering.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air tube soldering.
    Posted: April-27-2022 at 4:38pm
Hi,

I have recently purchased a really nice Daisy Buck Jones model 107 but with a broken air tube.

The air tube is much longer than the usual daisy air tube, about 4 1/2 inches long, and made of brass, otherwise, it is the same od and id of the others.

Has anyone here actually soldered any of the Daisy air tubes into the plunger heads?

Any suggestions on how to do it? Does it have to be silver soldered or is standard solder sufficiently strong enough to hold the air tube on the plunger head on a model 107?

Any help associated with this soldering job will be greatly appreciated! 

Stay safe, regards, gkenny.
undertaker View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2022 at 7:38pm
I have done a few of them. You'll need a small butane torch to do it. A good flux and any solder will do fine. Ive used radiator solder as well as silver solder.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2022 at 10:41pm

Thank you, Undertaker, I really appreciate your quick response! 

You have given me the confidence to attempt this job! It will be my first!

I have a Dremel Versa Tip Torch kit. It includes a very nice Butane torch, some solder, and several different tips. I also have some Harris Stay-Clean flux and some other solder.

The air tube on my model 107 is brass. It was broken off at the small cut in front of the plunger head, where the air travels through when fired. The original tube was 4 5/8" long, 4mm OD, .75MM ID. I found a source, Amazon, for the air tube, I should have it late next week. 

The air tube fits inside a very tight 4MM hole, 5/16" deep in the front of the plunger head. I was able to remove the broken 5/16" piece with the Dremel torch. 

Do you 'tin' the end of the tube before placing it into the 5/16" deep hole at the end of the plunger head?

Is there a trick to get the air tube to stay perfectly centered and straight?

Thanks again for your help, regards, gkenny.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 12:02pm
I do tin the end of the brass air tube prior to inserting it into the base. I put flux inside the hole and heat it up. Re-heat the tube until the solder starts to flow and then jam it in the hole. heat the assembly together until until it looks straight. I just eyeball it from all directions. Any minor tweaking can be done after it cools off. The main thing is to make the new tube the exact length as the old one or else it will not feed correctly. Good luck.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 3:34pm

Thanks again, undertaker. Very good directions which I will follow exactly when I receive my tubes.

I may have a problem getting the exact length of the original tube because it was broken inside of the     plunger hole so I do not know how much it moved out before it broke. I lost that small piece.

The air tube was between 4 1/2" and 4 5/8" long, Would you choose the larger or smaller possibility?

Thanks again, regards, gkenny.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 7:56pm
Leave it long and you can file off the end of it if it doesn not feed a BB. Chances are, it'll work fine like it is.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 8:04pm

Thank you Undertaker, you have been more than helpful! I will report back when the job is done!

Regards, gkenny.
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 9:21pm
Hi guys. I have an old post here regarding brass air tubes and the length (for the No. 25). I don't know how to post a link to that topic, but this will get you there:
Go to Search / Re-seal (keyword) then Gumslinger (member) choose 'Topic Subject'  and 'Any Date'.
This will land on "No. 25 leather reseal question". On page six of this post there is some info on brass air tubes. Good luck on your project.

There is a recent in-depth Youtube video on a Buck Jones restoration where the guy fashions a new air tube from stainless steel. It might provide some tips on length.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Gumslinger Gumslinger wrote:

Hi guys. I have an old post here regarding brass air tubes and the length (for the No. 25). I don't know how to post a link to that topic, but this will get you there:
Go to Search / Re-seal (keyword) then Gumslinger (member) choose 'Topic Subject'  and 'Any Date'.
This will land on "No. 25 leather reseal question". On page six of this post there is some info on brass air tubes. Good luck on your project.

There is a recent in-depth Youtube video on a Buck Jones restoration where the guy fashions a new air tube from stainless steel. It might provide some tips on length.

Here's a clickable link to the thread above: http://forum.daisymuseum.com/no-25-leather-reseal-question_topic9556_page1&SID=327910749cfa5851c1e755a38ae459548842593.html

gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2022 at 11:41am

Gumslinger, that is the best restoration video that I have ever seen! It is also the most appropriate for     what I am trying to do! I can't thank you enough! I have saved it and will watch it over and over.

Regards, gkenny. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic