Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buzz Barton - Any DisassemblyPitfalls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buzz Barton - Any DisassemblyPitfalls?
    Posted: February-08-2019 at 8:21pm
I am new here.  Started by refurbing the Model 99 that my grandfather gave me for Christmas in 1962 (I was only 3, good grief!).  He was 59 at the time and as a subsistence farmer who grew up shooting game for food, he was determined that his grandsons would as well.  I still love shooting because of him. 

I since have learned a lot from this site and in general surfing.  Now own a 1946 Red Ryder (thanks Cobalt 327) and recently bought a 1953 Model 25 and Buzz Barton No. 195.  It needs some TLC as it cocks and has some strong spring action, but no pressure at all.

It clearly needs to be disassembled and cleaned up. Is the No. 195 pretty straight forward or are there some tricks I need to know, such as tying up the Buck Jones trigger spring to get it re-installed?

Just seeking some wisdom from the collective minds here.

Thanks   
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2019 at 8:38am
So, I couldn't wait to get into this gun.  I figured it couldn't be too bad.  The seals were toast.  Plunger seal was shrunk and crumbly.  Barrel seal was in same state so I had to scrape it out as a powder.

The plunger spring is kinked, so it will be replaced.  I soaked the plunger, plunger head, and anchor spring in 50/50 solution of vinegar and water to release 85 years of accumulated grime.  Scrubbed them with plastic pot scrubber. 

I scrubbed the inside of the barrel shroud and receiver as best I could with Kroil-soaked paper towels.  Ran a few small wads of paper towel soaked in Kroil through the shot tube bore.  Used a bottle brush to clean out the tube sight and a thin wire to get some dirt out of the teeny aperture in there.  

I also polished up the air tube by chucking the plunger head in a drill and just holding sandpaper on it while spinning. 

Gave all the metal a good going over with oil to clean off grime. Applied some tung oil to the stock.

Now I just need some new seals and this one should be ready for decades of faithful service.

Pic below shows all the grime that came off the gun.  Remnants of the barrel seal are on the paper towel on the far left.

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2019 at 10:02am
BSAGuy, it it can't be easy to make dirty paper towels sound and look interesting but you nailed it! I especially liked the example of how age can turn a seal to powder (left towel). Good choice using Kroil for the tough stuff. Mechanics I know say it's the best of the best.

I believe you will have that honey spitting BB's in no time.   
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2019 at 12:31pm
Never heard of tying the spring trigger to reinstall it, can you elaborate? Showing a photo of the plunger assembly would be great, too.

Check the ID of the compression chamber, might need to improvise if you don't have snap gauges.
BSAGuy View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2019 at 4:21pm
Cobalt - I read that on a Buck Jones, you have to compress the trigger spring, tie it with dental floss, insert, and then cut the floss.  Haven't tried it, just reading for now.

I'll post a photo of plunger later.  Away from home right now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic