Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas Story Red Ryders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
plevesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plevesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas Story Red Ryders
    Posted: December-26-2011 at 11:55am
A little info and some images for those interested in the Christmas Dream model Red Ryder as seen in the holiday classic A Christmas Story.

There have been three models of the Christmas Dream produced by Daisy.  Starting from the bottom and working up, this picture shows originals from 1983 (cardboard and cellophane packaging) and 1984 (box), 2003 20th anniversary model, and 2008 25th anniversary model.

Prior to 1983, Daisy had not produced a Red Ryder with compass and sundial.  (When Jean Shepherd wrote the story that later became A Christmas Story he was actually thinking of the Buck Jones model which did come with a compass and sundial.)  Following the release of the movie, Daisy did produce the Christmas Dream model, which was similar to the rifle little Ralphie wants for Christmas.  These were manufactured in 1983 and 1984 so original rifles will have lot numbers beginning with either a 3 or 4.  Surplus stocks were sold off by Daisy after the production run, and sometimes show up loose or attached to non-original rifles. 

The Christmas Dream model was sold in packaging similar to other Red Ryders with the only addition being the special A Christmas Story sticker.

The early Christmas Dreams had a small compass that was a little larger than a dime.  These were made by multiple manufacturers, so while the size is similar, the markings are different.

Packaged with the rifle was a small card that had directions for using the sundial on one side, and a brief history of the sundial on the other.

Later Christmas Dreams featured a larger sundial with the word Daisy inside.  This one is a 1984 as indicated by the lot number beginning with a 4.  There has been some speculation that all originals were sold in the cellophane packaging, but this boxed version was purchased from someone who had owned it for a long time, and it also came with the remains of the sundial directions that had been used as a target.

In 2003, Daisy released a limited run of 1000 20th anniversary Christmas Dream Red Ryders.  These were ordered from through the Daisy Museum, and featured the signature compass and sundial as well as laser etching of the rifle's number.

Again in 2008 Daisy produced an anniversary model, this one marking 25 years since the release of the original.  1500 were produced, and as with the 2003 model, they were ordered directly through the Daisy Museum.

oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2011 at 7:20pm
Fantastic post! Thanks for taking the time to put it together!
acmebeer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmebeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2011 at 10:20pm
Thanks plevesque! Great post!
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2011 at 11:01pm
Hello all:  I watched the movie "The Christmas Story" yesterday for the first time; the Red Ryder in that movie has the compass and sun dial on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE STOCK,  not the left.  I was quite surprised.
Semper Fi
acmebeer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmebeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2011 at 11:20pm
Your first time Will? Wow! Did you like the movie? It's a cult classic! In my neck of the woods they played it for two days nonstop!
plevesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plevesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2011 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by willielumplump willielumplump wrote:

Hello all:  I watched the movie "The Christmas Story" yesterday for the first time; the Red Ryder in that nmovie has the compass and sun dial on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE STOCK,  not the left.  I was quite surprised.

According to film lore, the compass and sundial are on the right side of the stock in the movie because Ralphie is a lefty and they would have been covered up while he's holding the rifle.  Ironically, the Redy Ryder appears in very little of the movie anyway!

Paul

stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2011 at 8:37am
If you looked hard you could also see that the forearm band and barrel bands on the rifle in the movie are also copper coated.Does the Daisy 1999 Christmas rifle count here.Found it while looking for the 25 Ann rifle that I don't have lol.That would make it four Christmas rifles that Daisy has made.That was a great post Paul.One of my original Christmas Story rifles has a compass that has Japan on it and didn't think it was original but now I am not sure,also I beleive that the lot number has to have an H in the beginig
stevec
plevesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plevesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2011 at 9:23am
I don't count the Christmas '99 rifle.  It's all about that compass and "thing which tells time"!

Regarding the made in Japan compass, two of the ones in the pics above (left and middle of the small compass pics) have Japan written on them.  Is yours the same as one of these?  Even if it's not, I bet Daisy just bought whatever small compasses were available in order to get the rifles out as quick as possible.

The lot numbers on mine all have a 3 or 4 to start, and a letter in the second location.  One of them has an H.  The one in the pics above that came off the cellophane packaging has a D.  I know that's an original because I quite gently removed it from the original packaging - and then had to vacuum the dust of off it!

Paul
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2011 at 9:48am
Hey Paul
Both my rifles lot no start with a 4 then H.The compass says ,made in occupied Japan.You do know that thing that tells time is a Sun dial LOl.I have read that alot about the sun dial.Wonder if the different Lot numbers had anything to do as to where you brought the rifle.Remember somthing about if you brought direct from Daisy the packing was different then from ones brought at a store. Remember something along those lines with the 50th Ann Red Ryders
stevec
RONR11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONR11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2011 at 9:55am
Wow what a wealth of information on the Red Ryder,now I just need to find a early one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic