Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copper forearm band for first Red Ryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copper forearm band for first Red Ryder
    Posted: March-12-2019 at 5:39pm
 Hi, does anyone have a suggestion for where I can get a Red Ryder original or reproduction copper  plated forearm band for the first version Red Ryder?

I already tried Ebay and Dennis Baker.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. I realize that this is probably a ridiculous request.

Regards. gkenny.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2019 at 5:47pm
gkenny, I'm guessing that the original forearm band is not the same as the current ones. If it was, you could try to strip the paint off and electro plate one at home. The instructions are all over the internet. Maybe someone here knows if the two are compatible.
Air-It-Is
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

gkenny, I'm guessing that the original forearm band is not the same as the current ones. If it was, you could try to strip the paint off and electro plate one at home. The instructions are all over the internet. Maybe someone here knows if the two are compatible.

Thank you Airtis, I appreciate your input, that may be the only way to get this band!

Regards, gkenny.
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 9:39am
I believe all older RR's (pre 1950 with the wooden forearm) use the same band either blued or copper plated. The newer ones, even the 1938 models from 72-78, are different. So best bet is to take an older one and copper plate it. Finding one with decent copper finish is rare.

I have 2 original guns that just have flashes of copper showing on the bands. I also have one in real nice shape that the copper has mellowed with age and looks like an old copper penny. A hard look to duplicate.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 1:21pm
I found myself in the same predicament- had a copper band RR missing the forearm band. I decided to use a new production RR band (they're narrower). Soaked it in some rust remover to remove the bluing (bluing can be removed various ways besides this) then copper plated it using CuSO4, water and a battery. It took a few tries but I got it to come out looking weathered like the rest of the gun. If I can find a photo I'll post it.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by zipper28 zipper28 wrote:

I believe all older RR's (pre 1950 with the wooden forearm) use the same band either blued or copper plated. The newer ones, even the 1938 models from 72-78, are different. So best bet is to take an older one and copper plate it. Finding one with decent copper finish is rare.

I have 2 original guns that just have flashes of copper showing on the bands. I also have one in real nice shape that the copper has mellowed with age and looks like an old copper penny. A hard look to duplicate.

Thank you zipper28, I don't suppose ay of those bands are for sale, are they?

Regards, gkenny.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

I found myself in the same predicament- had a copper band RR missing the forearm band. I decided to use a new production RR band (they're narrower). Soaked it in some rust remover to remove the bluing (bluing can be removed various ways besides this) then copper plated it using CuSO4, water and a battery. It took a few tries but I got it to come out looking weathered like the rest of the gun. If I can find a photo I'll post it.

Yes, I would like to see the photo and I would like you to tell me more about the plating process and CuSO4's use. I have never plated anything before.

Thank you, regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 5:30pm

Removed bluing w/rust remover left from erector set cleaning, buffed w/brillo pad under running water followed by alcohol, cannot touch w/bare hands- wear rubber gloves. The metal has to be very clean, this is why commercial plating shops have multiple baths/rinses they put parts through before they get plated.

COPPER PLATING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qhqTVssoo

Bought Copper Sulfate [CuSO4] 99.7% ACS Grade Powder 4 Oz in a Space-Saver Bottle USA  $5.99 (~ 112g)

Add 100g CuSO4 to 2c hot water stir to dissolve

18650 Li-ion 4v battery or two AA batteries in series

·        Pos pole to anode- piece of copper water pipe

·        Neg pole to cathode- band to be plated

gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

Removed bluing w/rust remover left from erector set cleaning, buffed w/brillo pad under running water followed by alcohol, cannot touch w/bare hands- wear rubber gloves. The metal has to be very clean, this is why commercial plating shops have multiple baths/rinses they put parts through before they get plated.

COPPER PLATING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3qhqTVssoo

Bought COPPER SULFATE POWDER 4 ounces for $5.00 (~ 112g)

100g CuSO4 to 2c hot water stir to dissolve

18650 Li-ion 4v battery or two AA batteries in series

·        Pos pole to anode- piece of copper water pipe

·        Neg pole to cathode- band to be plated

i will look into this this week and see what happens. I will report back to you on this forum.
Thank you Cobalt327, 
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 7:25am
gkenny
I have an extra older forearm band that was blued that I would be willing to part with. It would be the perfect candidate for your plating project. Contact me at jwasz28@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic