Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

couldn't help myself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: couldn't help myself
    Posted: January-08-2019 at 5:48pm
I've done a pretty good job of selling off 90% of my guns and "stuff". Can't help looking around though. Couple days ago a two vintage Daisys caught my eye on fleabay and my wheels started turning. One was a nice 722 pistol boxed. $126 with 6 hours left. I love them pistols but they have gotten popular with the collectors.....cuz they are hard to find and they have gotten popular with shooters......cuz they're fun to shoot. At $126 there was no bargain to be had there. It ended up selling for $222!! The other was a nice 917 rifle with five of the pellet clips, a box, and manual with it. Looked like better than 95% condition. I put in a bid and got it for $71. That is a bargain for that gun, as far as I'm concerned. It's as rare as the 722. It shoots at least as fun as the 722 but has not captured the attention of vintage buyers yet. I really like the 880 platform and the 917 is the dedicated .177 pellet version. Daisy only made it for three years in the late 70's-80's. I'll let you all know if it's as good as I anticipate. Cool
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 7:42pm
Congrats on the find! Looking forward to your report :)
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2019 at 12:20am
Cool find!
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2019 at 8:26am
I never was able to find an affordable 722.

The more I read about that 917 the more I'm thinking "there you go, letting the cat out of the bag. Now all the cool kids will want one, and the prices will climb, and I won't be able to get one of those either". ;) Thank you for pointing it out! I didn't really know about it before.

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2019 at 10:50pm
Yeah .....affordable 722's were all bought up about two years ago. Karen and I have a shooting pair that I picked up a few years back when a decent shooter could still be had for less than $100. I have high hopes for the 917 and have all the parts/seals to get it shooting. Should be here by this Monday. Christmas in Jan. Tongue
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 6:04pm
It arrived early. That's an unexpected plus. The 917 is in near 100% condition. Not bad for a near forty year old Daisy 880 type rifle. I won't even try to post pics on here. Confused It was made in Oct. of 1981......near the end of the 917's short run. It needs a new check rubber and I'll do a complete reseal, while I'm in there. Not sure when I'll find the time to do that. I'm still working and I have a wife that I actually enjoy paying attention to. Wink
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 7:38pm
Send me the pics, if you want!  I'd happily jump through the hoops and post them. :)  

I too had a couldn't help myself moment, and a 131 single shot break barrel is on its way to me.  The 130 proved to be such a surprising joy, when the opportunity came up, I just had to get this too.  What was that about Christmas in January? ;) 

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 9:38pm
There must be something in the water- I just received a 1984 880. It's the type w/open loading port and no warning or instructions cast into the receivers. It has diamond inserts so this type was made 1985-'88. I really like no diamonds but this was a decent buy so I went for it anyway. The no diamond type (all else the same) was made 1984-'85 only. I'll post photos after I open the box. I've been pretty busy w/BB gun springs atm.
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 10:35am
Hey, there's a 922, like new in box on fleabay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Daisy-Air-Gun-Power-Line-Repeater-22-With-Original-Box/303025456066?

Only asking a hundred and change more than what Fuse paid for it. :) 

There's another interesting find on there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daisy-Power-Line-2001-35-Shot-Pellet-Repeater/273541386821

I've never seen one of these before.  Anyone have any experience with it?  It looks like it uses the 840 family single pump powerplant.  Hmmmmm.. ;)   Nah.  One that one, I can help myself. :)

Apparently there was a 2002 Power Line co2 powered pump action that used the same 35 shot magazine!  That would sure be interesting...
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:22pm
I saw that 922. It looks beautiful. At $190 I can't conscience it. I have a very nice 822 already. That said, the 922 is the original "Arkansas Can Opener" Very cool gun. It would make an exact .22 bookend to the 917 I just got. Glad to hear that I'm not alone in jumping at a gun that "speaks" to me. As for the D 2001 rifle and the 2002 rifle with that 35 pellet helical mag. they come with.......I have had both a couple times over. They are fun plinkers but that magazine is very pellet finicky. Has to be wadcutters only and they have to be quite hard lead. Daisy wadcutters were too soft. You have to push the pellets into the magzine and if the lead is soft they deform. As I recall, Crosman flat nosed worked well. I think I got .177 lead BB's to work well also. They loaded real easy. The 2003 pistol also has the 35 pellet clip. The pistol is a true semi-auto. The rifles must be cocked for each shot. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with any of them but for the curiosity factor. I do have that bug. That's why I've had them to try and passed them on. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic