Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cross section drawing of No. 101 Model 33

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cross section drawing of No. 101 Model 33
    Posted: April-05-2022 at 2:26pm
Does anyone know where I can find an cross section drawing of No 101 Model 33 single shot spring piston  rifle?
I am trying to understand the mechanism that holds the BB in place so it does not run out of the barrel when the gun is tilted below the horizon.  Is there a magnet?   Is there something I should clean?  
About half the time the BB stays in place.   The rest of the time it rolls out of the barrel.     
A proud Friend of the Daisy AirGun Museum.
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2022 at 4:09pm
I DO KNOW  OF ANY CROSS SECTION DRAWING, BUT HERE IS PARTS LIST FOR THE 33 AND TAG AND PARTS LIST WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE 101/36. TAG FOR THE 33 HAS THE EXACT SAME INSTRUCTIONS AS THE 36.    FROM WHAT I READ IT IS POSSIBLE (BUT NOT EASY) TO REMOVE SHOT TUBE ON THE 101/36 (BUT NOT THE 101/33) SO YOU CAN INSPECT IT AND CLEAN IT (MAY HELP)..
NOTE THERE IS NO SHOT TUBE SHOWN FOR THE 33 IN THE PARTS LIST BECAUSE IT WAS NOT DESIGNED TO BE REMOVED....

Aim Straight
undertaker View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2022 at 10:00am
JG airguns sells .180" lead BB's that will probably work well in your rifle. There is a slight restriction at the bottom of the air tube that holds the BB and keeps it from rolling out of the barrel. It is either worn or too large for modern BB's.
Lupin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2024 at 1:34pm
Thank you! !You guys are the best!   After 2 years,  I decided died to take the gun down off the gun rack and try it out.  It did not magically heal itself.  The BB still rolled out of the barrel if I tilt it down  Otherwise the gun shoots great!  
I will look up the 0.180 lead BBs from JG airguns.   Maybe it will make a difference. 
Lupin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2024 at 4:26pm
Guys, Thanks for the great advice.  I ended up buying lead BBs from JG Airguns  (800 for $18.95)

For the past couple of weeks I have been oiling it and letting it drain, standing it barrel up and barrel down, Cocked and Uncocked. I put about 50 shots through it to clear excess oil and blew compressed air into the barrel to remove any light smoke. 

After a couple of days of shooting it with Daisy Premium Grade BBs to further clear out loose oil, I took out my chronograph so I could get real data. 

Using Daisy Premium Grade BBs, measured 0.34 grams.  Here are my results after 8 shots.
Average Speed: 139.8 fps, Std. Dev.: 16.0 fps   Calculated Energy: 0.228 ft-lb

Using 0.18 lead BBs, measured 0.538 grams.   Here are my results after 8 shots.
Average Speed: 148.9 fps, Std. Dev.: 27.0 fps   Calculated Energy: 0.408  ft-lb

So the big surprise is:  the heavier, larger lead BBs shoot faster than the lighter, smaller steel BBs.
I figure the lead balls seal better in the barrel so less air is lost.    Note how the energy is 78% greater than the steel BBs.   But the steel BBs are definitely more consistent with a tighter standard deviation.

This was fun.  Now I need to decide what to do with it.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 4:58am
I wonder what it would do with a fresh piston seal and spring in it? I've heard these were hard-hitting BB guns. If it uses a 13/16" compression chamber, you could convert it to rubber seals. You would need to use a flat head screw to block off the air tube hole in the rubber piston. And use a long retainer pin and reinforcement washer to round out the conversion. Or you could buy a leather seal set and keep it 'correct'.

I'd be very interested to know the free length, number of coils and wire diameter of the spring. That would tell which new spring would best match the original.  You'd need to make or buy a spring fork tool if you don't already have one. But other than that, it would be a relatively easy project.
Lupin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 2:11pm
Hi Cobalt327,
This is the No. 101 Model 33.   It doesn't look like it comes apart.   I'd have to drill out rivets and I'd rather not damage it. It's still completely stock. 
That does sound like a fun project though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic