Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 111-40 with plastic butt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magicsean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 111-40 with plastic butt
    Posted: November-11-2017 at 3:07pm
Hi, I am shooting air but no BB's out of this BB rifle my grands gave me. I loaded .177 BBs and it looks like they are getting loaded into the barrel but not making it out of the muzzle. Seems like a jam to me, but i don't know enough to be sure. I'd like to remove the shot tube and from all the research I've done all I find is "remove the tube" however when I give it a shot it's very stiff and resists being turned in either direction and springs back somewhat. Is it really something i just twist off and I'm just being too gentle?
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 3:34pm
The shot tube should screw out fairly easily.  Do not force it out.  It will most likely twist and deform and not be useable.  It could have some rust that is keeping it from unscrewing.  First try standing it with the barrel pointed up and pour some oil down the shot tube, and if possible, into the barrel throu the loading opening, Then let it stand overnight.  Then try rotating the shot tube back and forth to see if it will work loose. 
Pat
magicsean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magicsean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 3:47pm
awesome, thanks i will try that.
Rick Cates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 5:49pm
I bought a 1938 recently with the same issue.
I had to take it completely apart to remove the shot tube.
It initially had a group of bb's wedged in it enough to bend the chute for the bb's at the base of the shot tube and force the retainer spring loose.  The chute was bent just enough to catch on the outer barrel base to keep it from turning out.  That was done before I purchased it knowing the shot tube would not come out.  That was the reason they were selling it.
If the oil does not break the group of bb's at the base loose you will need to remove the spring assembly and use a right hand easy out to assist from the back side turning the shot tube to turn it out without damaging/twisting it to get it out.
Good luck and hopefully you can get it out without total disassembly.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 7:40pm
I've seen the shot tubes rusted to the abutment before, a lot of kids had the habit of taking a mouthful of BBs and blowing them into the gun through the loading port- spit and all. The result is inevitable- rust.

FWIW, the best rust breaking fluid I've found after working on all types of mechanical equipment for 50-plus years is called PB Blaster, and I've tried a bunch of them. It stinks to high heaven but it will do the job where lesser concoctions fail.
Rick Cates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 8:06pm
I agree with the PB Blaster comments.
I have used it for years on exhaust manifold bolts that are seized.
It works better than anything on the market on those bolts and keeps from having them strip or twist off and require drilling out.
Good Luck with the tube and getting it out undamaged.
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 6:02pm
A little heat may do the trick. I have a heat gun. I put it on low and carefully get the place where the shot tube screws in good and warm. That has solved similar problems for me several times. A hair dryer on high might work as well. Quick and easy to try. Oil turns to glue if a gun sits for decades. Good luck.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
Airitis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 8:18am
If you can get some, "KROIL" is said to be the best penetrating fluid, at least by guys in industrial jobs.
Air-It-Is
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 8:42pm
And it smells like oranges!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic