Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 141/142 Defender

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddm125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 141/142 Defender
    Posted: December-08-2023 at 8:35pm
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I am looking for information on a Daisy transition variant of the Defender Models 141/142. I recently acquired (arrived an hour ago) a Defender that appears to be one of the Model 141s that Daisy had on hand when they began production of the Model 142. It is a blued frame with the words "Forced Feed" struck out and a number 2 over-stamp from model 141 to 142. There is no register number and there is a loading hole in top of barrel directly behind the front sight. I've read several posts here on this variant from a number of years ago. My gun is missing the shot tube. Can I use a modern Model 25 shot tube in this gun?  Gun is currently inoperable, so I will likely need other parts as well, like a trigger spring. Any help would be appreciated.
ddm
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 10:12am

Welcome to the forum ddm.

My first thought was sure the model 25 shot tube will work but then I looked at the guns more closely. The 141 and 142 do look the same but the 141 barrel is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch longer than the 142. I also have a 141/142 transition gun and the barrel length is the same as a 142. So the 25 style shot tube will fit in the 142 barrel but will stick out about 1/4 inch or so. Might be ok.

You can also use the shot tube from an early Red Ryder in a 142 by removing the lightning loader tab.
ddm125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddm125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 11:34am
Thanks, I'll measure my barrel when I get home tonight. I noticed that one of the sites selling model 25 shot tubes listed 141 as a comparable fit but no mention of 142. Any thoughts as to trigger spring?
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 4:46pm

I believe the same trigger spring is used in a number of the older Daisys. It is about 1 inch long and a little less than 1/4 inch in diameter.
ddm125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddm125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 6:49pm
Thanks. I couldn't get a clear picture of spring and no scale in the few pictures I located.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2023 at 2:03pm
I have found that a trigger spring is nothing to loose sleep over. Hardware stores have oodles of universal springs. Just so it fits in the hole in the stock and over the tang on the back of the trigger. If it's a little too short, you can stretch it out a bit. If it's too long, you can snip off the end. Preferably the end that goes in the stock.   Have fun!
Russ
Air-It-Is
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2023 at 6:16pm
ddm

You have found a rather unusual and scarce Model 142.  I too have one in excellent condition.  Personally, due to the uniqueness of this strike over/transition model, I would hesitate to install a shot tube from another model even if it worked.  These Model 142's come up on eBay fairly regularly.  I think I would find a 142 in poor condition/parts gun and use the shot tube out of it.  In my opinion, it just keeps it a little more original.  I would not even had addressed this had it not been a strike over gun.  This is just my humble opinion.  Good luck whatever you decide to do. Star
Steve
ddm125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddm125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2023 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the advice. I had planned on looking for a hardware spring as a backup plan, but thanks to description provided here, I was able to find a spring online for a model 111 that should work.
ddm125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddm125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2023 at 10:51pm
Iceman, it didn't even occur to me that I might find an original 141 shot tube but what you said makes sense.  Think I'll go ahead and order a model 25 shot tube from the same place I'm ordering the trigger spring from and hold onto it. That way if I find another 141, I can switch out the tubes and either way I can use the 25 tube to get the 141/142 working for now. When I ordered this gun I couldn't tell from the pictures/description if it was a model 141 or a 142. I ordered it anyway because the cellulose stock and forearm were in such great condition and the price was right for either model. Finding out upon arrival that it was a transition model was a nice surprise.
ddm125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddm125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2023 at 5:21am
Originally posted by ddm125 ddm125 wrote:

Iceman, it didn't even occur to me that I might find an original 141 shot tube but what you said makes sense.  Think I'll go ahead and order a model 25 shot tube from the same place I'm ordering the trigger spring from and hold onto it. That way if I find another 141, I can switch out the tubes and either way I can use the 25 tube to get the 141/142 working for now. When I ordered this gun I couldn't tell from the pictures/description if it was a model 141 or a 142. I ordered it anyway because the cellulose stock and forearm were in such great condition and the price was right for either model. Finding out upon arrival that it was a transition model was a nice surprise.

Got my numbers mixed up. I meant find an original 142 shot tube not a 141. Thought I had found one earlier tonight but owner had mixed his numbers up as well and it was a 141 not a 142.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic