Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 1894 Texas Ranger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 1894 Texas Ranger
    Posted: June-03-2019 at 9:58pm
Were Daisy 1894 Texas Ranger BB guns sold by Sears Roebuck & Co, with Sears & Roebuck stamped on the barrel? s/n J660440?

Thanks

See pics in listing:

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2019 at 9:08am
I am not an expert on the commemoratives Daisy has produced through the years but that gun does not look right to me. When I think of the Daisy Texas Ranger model, it is like what is shown below.

BB1Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2019 at 10:24am
Could it be that Daisy also made a Texas Ranger version for Sears?
S/N is J660440, so when would it have been made?

Seller says he bought it new from Sears many years ago. Here are some pic's. Note the scope rail above receiver, that was only found on Sears Roebuck models. Looks like emblems are switched around. Also no "1823 Texas Ranger 1973"  on left receiver. Might it be an earlier Texas Ranger? Based on s/n when was it made.

But regardless, it is a nice looking, hard shooting and fairly accurate (for a 1894) airgun.

Thanks for the help.
Texas Ranger Commemorative Lever Action-img-7
Texas Ranger Commemorative Lever Action-img-1
Texas Ranger Commemorative Lever Action-img-0
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2019 at 5:02pm
I have serious doubts. You would think there would be some mention of it online but I cannot find another gun like it. Beyond the Texas Ranger gun above I just don't know of any other Texas Ranger 1894 sold by Sears or anyone else for that matter. I am not saying it couldn't be legit, just that I have never seen or heard of one like it. But again- I am not a collector nor am I particularly knowledgeable about 1894 commemoratives and limited edition guns. 

I truly hope I am wrong and that you have what has to be among the rarest Daisy 1894s around.
keenkutterrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenkutterrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2019 at 11:00pm
I've been collecting since 1980. That gun isn't right. There were no Texas Rangers with a dovetail scope mount, and the emblems are on the wrong side.
BB1Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 1:40pm
Seller still states he bought it new at Sears many years ago. But has no box or paperwork. Said he has been collecting airguns for more than 55 years and this was the only one like it he has seen.
I also noticed that the stock is a lot darker than the other one pictured.

Are there any "experts" in the area of vintage Daisy 1894's that could comment.

And based on s/n (J660440) when was it made?

Thanks.  
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by BB1Shooter BB1Shooter wrote:

...based on s/n (J660440) when was it made?

Thanks.  
If it was made when the numbers could be read, it would be September 1976. But if it was made prior to about 1972, which was when the numbers began to be useful for dating the gun, you'll need to contact the Daisy Museum. There is a form you can fill out and mail to them to get info (form HERE). Besides the date, ask them if they have any knowledge of this gun in general.

More on dating a Daisy can be seen HERE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic