Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Daisy 1938B Red Ryder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 1938B Red Ryder

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member
Avatar

Joined: November-15-2013
Points: 2324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 1:51pm
Has this gun ever performed correctly?

Have you removed and replaced the trigger, then the trouble began? If not, how did the trouble start?

The photo shows how the beartrap rack is supposed to be orientated. If it has a problem, it can prevent the plunger from releasing. This is why I mentioned it in the first post I made but you didn't reply so I thought it didn't have one. 

I don't think the sear will engage the trigger if the rack is above the plunger extension, but the rack can be out of position on the trigger and still be below the extension- yet the gun still will not cock and shoot normally. But this is getting ahead of the story, so start with what you can see. 

BE CAREFUL! Without the stock to stop the lever, the lever will contact the trigger and fire the gun if the gun is cocked and the lever is closed too far. If you haven't done so, now is a great time to empty the gun of BBs. You can shake it vigorously to get one stuck to the magnet.




Back to Top
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member


Joined: August-17-2009
Points: 809
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

Has this gun ever performed correctly?

Have you removed and replaced the trigger, then the trouble began? If not, how did the trouble start?

The photo shows how the beartrap rack is supposed to be orientated. If it has a problem, it can prevent the plunger from releasing. This is why I mentioned it in the first post I made but you didn't reply so I thought it didn't have one. 

I don't think the sear will engage the trigger if the rack is above the plunger extension, but the rack can be out of position on the trigger and still be below the extension- yet the gun still will not cock and shoot normally. But this is getting ahead of the story, so start with what you can see. 

BE CAREFUL! Without the stock to stop the lever, the lever will contact the trigger and fire the gun if the gun is cocked and the lever is closed too far. If you haven't done so, now is a great time to empty the gun of BBs. You can shake it vigorously to get one stuck to the magnet.





Thanks again Cobalt, the reason I did not mention Beartrap is because I did not know what it was.

To answer your questions, the gun is relatively new, pre-China and mint condition.

I know nothing about it except that a woman at a garage sale told me that it stopped working and just gave it to me!

It only shoots a BB about 3 feet because it is right up against the trigger and when you cock it, it only moves 1/2 inch.

Regards, gkenny.
Back to Top
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member
Avatar

Joined: November-15-2013
Points: 2324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 4:07pm
Can you verify that the rack is below the extension on the plunger tube?

Also, the rack can impede the shot if the gun is not fully cocked, so be sure that it is FULLY cocked. This can take some force, but try it before we go further to be sure the problem can't be easily solved.




Back to Top
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member
Avatar

Joined: November-15-2013
Points: 2324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 6:13pm

This is what Daisy says regarding making sure the gun is fully cocked:

"With the muzzle of the gun pointed straight up, in the “12 O’clock” position, the gun is not completely cocked until the lever is pulled up into the “2 O’clock” position."

This is probably not the problem, but we need to make sure before going deeper...

Back to Top
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member


Joined: August-17-2009
Points: 809
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

This is what Daisy says regarding making sure the gun is fully cocked:

"With the muzzle of the gun pointed straight up, in the “12 O’clock” position, the gun is not completely cocked until the lever is pulled up into the “2 O’clock” position."

This is probably not the problem, but we need to make sure before going deeper...

Yes! I can cock it to 2 o'clock but the lever is all free play until the last 1/2 inch that actually moves the plunger back to engage the sear. It fires only that 1/2 inch and the BB goes about 2 or 3 feet out of the gun.
Back to Top
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member
Avatar

Joined: November-15-2013
Points: 2324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 6:43pm
First, is the beartrap rack in the correct position?

Second, what is the number on the side of the barrel- it will tell the date it was made. I want to be sure this gun is supposed to have a beartrap type trigger in the first place.
Back to Top
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member


Joined: August-17-2009
Points: 809
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

First, is the beartrap rack in the correct position?

Second, what is the number on the side of the barrel- it will tell the date it was made. I want to be sure this gun is supposed to have a beartrap type trigger in the first place.

lot no 1008  012661

I just sent you a PM with photo
Back to Top
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member
Avatar

Joined: October-06-2016
Location: PA
Points: 779
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

First, is the beartrap rack in the correct position?


Second, what is the number on the side of the barrel- it will tell the date it was made. I want to be sure this gun is supposed to have a beartrap type trigger in the first place.



Here is a quick rule of thumb: if the staple that holds the saddle ring is horizontal, it won't have an anti bear trap. If the staple is vertical, it will because there's room inside for the anti bear trap lever.
Air-It-Is
Back to Top
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member


Joined: August-17-2009
Points: 809
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

First, is the beartrap rack in the correct position?


Second, what is the number on the side of the barrel- it will tell the date it was made. I want to be sure this gun is supposed to have a beartrap type trigger in the first place.



Here is a quick rule of thumb: if the staple that holds the saddle ring is horizontal, it won't have an anti bear trap. If the staple is vertical, it will because there's room inside for the anti bear trap lever.

 

It is vertical!
Back to Top
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member
Avatar

Joined: November-15-2013
Points: 2324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 8:36pm
It's a 2008 gun, so it should have the beartrap. 


Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.