Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 21
    Posted: October-16-2020 at 5:37pm
This looks like a good way to post a Daisy Model 21 double barreled shotgun. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daisy-vintage-model-21-double-barrel-with-box-gun-oil-bbs-pamphlet-/224193332062?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

List it for 99 cents & watch it go up & up. 

Currently at $2,182 with 4 days left in the auction. 

Nice looking gun, in great condition & the original box. 

Explain to me again, why Daisy doesn't want to reintroduce it.

I would never pay more than a couple hundred for a decades old BB gun like this, but would pay for a modern replica. 
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2020 at 10:54am
Daisy made double barrel BB guns twice, the 104 and the 21. Neither was much of a success.
People who are in business to make money want better bets.
Collectors paying large amounts of money for 'failures' like the Daisy 104, 21, Ruger Hawkeye.......... are NOT indications they would be a commercial success if reintroduced. A handful of collectors might buy it but not in the numbers needed to make it a financial success.
The Daisy 21 was a reintroduction of the 104 and it flopped.
That was also tried at least twice with the Whitney Wolverine. Same results.

If you are still not convinced, since the patents have long since expired you could gather some like minded investors and produce copies of the the 104 /21. Farm it out to a current manufacturer or build your own factory and watch the money NOT roll in.  

Gary
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2020 at 3:27pm
I just thought that with the flood of western replica airguns coming to the market in the last few years, a "coach gun" would be a natural addition to the western line of replica airguns. 

Umarex started it off about 5 years ago, with the shell loading "Colt" branded Peacemaker CO2 single action army revolver. They now have issued more than 15 different versions, in 3 different barrel lengths. But it would appear that wasn't enough, as Pyramyd Air has opened a "custom shop" to build Peacemakers to your own specifications;

https://www.pyramydair.com/air-gun-builder

Crosman saw Umarex's success & came out with the Remington 1875, shell loading single action CO2 revolver. Which is similar to the Peacemaker. And a much more modern update to it's old 1861 Shiloh.

Then Bear River Outdoors (now called Barra Air Guns) joined in, by introducing a shell loading airgun replica of the Smith & Wesson No.3 Schofield, originally in gun blue & then nickel, and soon to come out with a 5" barreled "Wells Fargo" edition. The Schofield may be best remembered as the gun used by Clint Eastwood, in the last gunfight of his last western (Unforgiven).

Then Umarex developed a shell ejecting CO2 replica of the Winchester 1894, which uses the same shell as the Peacemaker, and called it the Legends Cowboy Lever Action. And Barra followed with a multi-pump version of the Winchester 1866, called the 1866 Cowboy Lever Action. 

And I understand Barra has other CO2 western pistols coming out soon.

So, with all of this, can't see how a "modern" update to the coach gun, would not have some success. As most of the other main western guns have been covered. The coach gun is probably the most common gun of the old west that has not yet been given a modern replica. 

I would suspect these new western replicas are being bought by more than just a "a handful of collectors".

Call me a dreamer, but I would prefer to say I'm just following "market trends". 

I think reason the Daisy 104 & 21 were not very successful, where as the Red Ryder, 25 & 1894 had been, is because the 104 & 21 were not designed that well. They shot with low velocity, were difficult to cock (esp. for younger shooters) and were prone to breakage (in the stock). If someone comes up with a more modern, better shooting double barrel shotgun, possibly CO2 powered, possibly shell loading, and shooting in the 400 fps range, they might see success. Esp. if marketed the right way and at the right price point.  

I would not expect Daisy to be involved, in any project like this. 
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2020 at 12:14am
Well, if you're looking for a base technology to harness, this is certainly interesting. And, much of the way to being a coach gun!

https://youtu.be/VJUjVMMgCrU
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2020 at 12:09pm
That is exactly the airgun I was thinking about, when I wrote the post. If this could be developed for airsoft a few years ago, there must be a way to make it for steel BB's.  

Here is a video from about 6 years ago, where the person substituted .177 steel BB's for the airsoft BBs in his shell loading airsoft shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJXLTR-ovYI

Not saying I would do this, without changing the barrel to support steel BBs vs. plastic, for continued use, but looks like it could work with small modification. 

And here is a video of a full stock version coach gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTK3i4iCqY

So, the technology is in place, just need someone to put a stronger barrel on it to accept steel BBs and bring it to the market. 

The self contained BB cartridge would give it a new and unique feature. Which would set it apart from other airguns currently out there. 

I really can't see how this would not be a hit with all the replica western airgunners & backyard plinkers. This would be the "mother" of all can killers. 

I think this says it the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGbHX4knV4

Rhomsey01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhomsey01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2020 at 8:43pm
You left out the model 410😅👍🏻
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic