Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 74

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 74
    Posted: June-30-2020 at 11:24am
Can anyone comment on the actual muzzle velocities of a Daisy 74?

The box says 350 fps, but some reviews say it will not get anywhere near that, right out of the box. They are saying less than 200 fps.

Has anyone ever chrono'ed a new one recently?

It looks like a nice entry level CO2 semi-auto plinker for the kids (with proper supervision), but if the actual velocity is under 200, may pass. 

Seems like some people just getting into the sport like semi-auto airguns verses lever or break barrel, for plinking.  

Thanks
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 10:41am
I got a model 74 in Jan. 2017 and mine chronoed around 250-260 fps, so it was close to a new Daisy Buck or Red Ryder. And the shot count is astronomical! I have seen reports of guns shooting slower, though.

There's a long thread where the 74 is discussed in length, including tips on increasing the MV. Quick and easiest way to modify it for more power is to add some preload to the spring that controls how hard the barrel assembly hits the valve pintle. Beyond that, internal valve mods can be done. But if yours is like mine was, and you can get by with the same MV as a current production Red Ryder, you may find it's GTG as-is. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic