Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 880 Compendium & Repair experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 3:13pm
I took mine apart to reseal, and pulled both pins on the trigger assy.  Before your pics it was a bitch trying to figure out where the small clip thing sits on top of the assy.  Thanks!!  I to am contemplating a wooden stock.  Going to take all the measurements and cut one out of some maple.  Probably take some time, but what they hey...  See what happens. 
Kill Dem Hogs
santos View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 12:51pm
You can get a wood stock from Daisy.  They have wood stocks for the Daisy 22sg which is basically an 880.  It is a little different but it is wood. See it here:   http://www.daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16146&cat=260&page=1
chappyman66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chappyman66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 4:51am
First of all, many and huge thanks to catwiesel for posting his instructions and photos here.  They have been instrumental in the rebuild of my Model 917.   It's been a trusty rabbit gun for years, but recently lost the ability to hold pressure so I was disappointed.   I also have an 880 that belonged to my brother and was passed on to my sons for their learning and I wanted to rebuild both.

The 917 was straightforward and now is functional again, thanks to parts from JG Airguns.

The 880 is another matter.   I rebuilt it the same way, but I am getting no pressure under pumping.  It sounds like the air is bleeding out in the area of the seal between the pump tube and the body.
A few notes before I go further:
I did not use the elastomer buffers in either gun.   The new ones are smaller in diameter and much taller (thicker?) than the originals, enough so that I could not compress them to refit the retaining pin.  I reused the originals in both cases after cleaning them.
When the 880 is reassembled, the pump head pulls a vacuum in the pump tube as it's withdrawn (I can feel it wanting to suck back into the tube) which I think means I reassembled something backwards.  I was very careful to follow the pictures and instructions though, so I am not sure what that would be.
It did seem like one of the o rings was slightly larger than the others.   Is is possible that this is not seating on the face of the body and leaking?

Questions:
Do I need to grind the buffers down a bit to help them fit?   Or do I need to compress them between the plates so they take on the form and dimensions of the tube and still allow space for the foam wiper and roll pin insertion?
Does anyone have any wisdom about common assembly errors that result in air blow-by in the pump tube or body while pulling a vacuum when you remove the pump assembly?
How about slightly stretching the spring to increase the tension and improve the seal?

Thanks for any help.

Desertdweller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertdweller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 8:54am
Great illustrated posting there!  I recently rebuilt one of my 880's with parts ordered from Daisy.
I have two 880's, one built in this country, the other, later, from China.  The US-made gun has a fiber-optic front sight, the other a plain blade.  The latter has extra screws securing the stock, a needed improvement.  Both have brown plastic stocks, the Chinese a little darker.
The diamonds on the forestocks appear to be stamped on, and the paint soon wore off.  I repainted my diamonds with white enamel, with a clear acrylic overcoat.  They are durable now!
FATAROX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FATAROX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 10:00am
My grandfather had an 880 with a metal receiver and no diamond painted on the forearm. It would not hold air and he gave it to me. I followed the instructions on your post, ordered parts from JG Airguns, and repaired it. Now it holds air perfectly, but when I started shooting it, the plastic part that makes up the front sight at the end of the outer barrel cracked and came out. It also holds the real barrel in. Now I have no front sight and whenever I do a shot with over four pumps, the real barrel slides out. I was wondering if there were any replacement parts for that particular piece or if I will have to replace the  whole outer barrel.
Alwaystraining View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwaystraining Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 4:42am
I have an 880, metal reciever, 20th aniversery, from early 90's

Felt wiper disintegrated, It would only hold about 1 pump worth of pressure, and the inner barrel would slide out when fired. 

Bought 880 reseal kit for $26.75 + $6.00 shipping.
http://www.bryanandac.com/

I don't know what I need, I couldn't tell where the exact problem is.  It seems like it didn't transfer pressure from the cylinder at the end of the pump stroke.

Also, My barrel just seems to nestle in to the "valve assembly."  I don't know what is supposed to keep the barrel attached, also there is just a metal to metal connection, no seal in there, which doesn't look much like the original posters pictures

The kit had No instructions of course, and I can't find anyone who has documented the installation.  I guess this thread is it.

I took good notes and drew diagrams when disassembling which enabled me to reassemble it without any problem.  I gently hammered the barrel back into the valve assembly which seems to have kept it from coming out.  I replaced all the seals and other pieced of the kit and the gun seems to be functioning well now.

One note of interest is that the first kit I got was for the Metal Receiver variant...because my reciever is metal...however, that kit did not work for me.  I sent pictures of my 880's innards to the kit's supplier and they informed me that I needed the kit for the plastic version of the gun...Well I don't know if I have a rare 880, or the guy who sells the kit is wrong (I doubt that) but the Plastic kit is what I needed for my metal 880.  

I have heard other people say that their "20th aniversery 880's" are plastic recievered...not mine, could be mine is worth something...I doubt it.

gumboguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 4:34pm
Thanks for posting this. You have done a great job with your rifle.

I have an 822 from the late 70's. When i pull the trigger, I hear air slipping out slowly before its supposed too.

Whats the deal with the little nylon or rubber bushing piece between the barrel and valve assembly? Mine is split in two. Do you know what the part number is? What is it called? Is it critical? Is this where I am loosing air when when I pull the trigger? Or is the head of my air valve gone bad over the years? I see you have a nice close up picture.

Hopefully you may be of some help. I sent a letter to jgairguns and they never got back to me.

Thanks!

Trigger-Happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger-Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 2:08am
Great posting!  Clap
BTW, for anyone needing to contact Larry Behling for parts, his current email is: rte6larry(at)windstream(dot)net
Where ever you go, there you are!
implied View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote implied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 1:11am

Hi

I am new to this forum. I have the 70’s version of the 880 from when I was much much much younger LOL. Anyway it stopped holding air back then and it’s really a wonder my dad still had it around but I decided to repair it.

I sent off for a kit to repair and have already replaced the main o-rings and such. It holds air but has a small leak at the valve cap assembly so I replaced 1 smaller o-ring inside (btw: mine was completely round without the nut like edges). The instructions I got with the kit are not the best as I’m sure you are familiar with, but it does say 2 small o-rings go inside the valve cap but am un-sure of what to do next. It does still have a small leak after replacing the larger of the 2 smallest o-rings but the last o-ring to install is super small but am unable to locate where to replace it.

I kind of have an Idea where it may go.

On the valve cap is a stem that works with the trigger, does anyone know if I am supposed to take the round clip off of the stem and disassemble the valve cap and place the very very small o-ring inside?

I wouldn’t hesitate to remove it but I’m concerned about damaging the clip on the stem and if the o-ring doesn’t go inside I don’t want to take it apart and chance breaking the clip.

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2013 at 6:32pm
Hi,

There is a small oring that seals the valve stem and you will have to remove that E clip to get to it. If you are careful it can be done. Don't lose it!! 

Stuart
Take your work seriously, but don't take yourself seriously.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic