Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 880 Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronno6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 880 Trigger
    Posted: August-01-2021 at 10:17am
Are y'all happy with the trigger pull of your Daisy 880/881/822/901/917/922/35/ Winnie 77/1977 Rifles?

I have a redesign which reduces the trigger pull to 1-1/2# or less,
with NO drop in performance.
It is easily owner installable; 
if you can disassemble and reassemble your 880, you can do this.
This is not a band aid fix...it is a redesign of the mechanism; 
it is the way Daisy SHOULD have made it from the start.

I am contemplating making it available to Daisy owners, 
but will not put forth the effort if there is no real interest.

I hope to hear from y'all.....
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2021 at 2:16pm
I hope there is enough interest to warrant producing it because I would buy one in a heartbeat! The trigger is the one thing preventing the 880 from really shining, because other than the trigger, these guns shoot far better than one could reasonably expect. The way it is now the options are to use shims cut from a credit card or to grind the sear surfaces, which is hit or miss and often results in a non functioning safety.
Ronno6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronno6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2021 at 8:39am
I guess i have greatly overestimated the gravity of the stiff 880 and 1977 triggers........

It looks like I will use the mod to set up custom rifles.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2021 at 11:31am
What has always been curious to me is, why folks don't hesitate to spend a hundred dollars to improve an already expensive gun, but hesitate to spend a few dollars on an inexpensive gun like the 880. To my way of thinking, the 880 gives me far more leeway for spending because it was already a good buy. So, seeing as how the 880 is such a great shooting gun with the need for just a few improvements, I look at a good trigger modification as a real advancement. 

The credit card shim hack to lower the trigger pull weight is not something I will ever do to the fire control group of ANY gun. Up until now, I have always removed material from the sear surfaces to get the pull weight where I wanted it. This is all well and good, but it can require multiple cut and tries before it's right. And remove a little too much and you have to replace the parts. With this kit, all the guesswork is taken out of the equation. Plug and play. That's why I'm all in.
Ronno6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronno6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2021 at 12:32pm
I think the problem is: people do not want to fix the root cause of those traits which
differentiate the performance of an inexpensive rifle from that of an expensive one.
The same idea as putting spats on a pig....... Allowing the 880 to live up to its potential as a tack driver 
somehow just does not sit well with folks.
And, I have always read that the #1 complaint about the Winnie 1977 is the super-stiff trigger...
Herein lies the FIX..... This does not cure the symptom, it eliminates the cause...Like...not having
a pain inducing cavity in a tooth in the first place,as opposed to taking painkillers to allay the symptom.

Thing is, the trigger mechanism has been redesigned to the way Daisy SHOULD have designed it to begin with. Stiff spring to open the exhaust valve; light spring for light trigger pull. The valve body and sear castings could be altered to incorporate the sear spring bosses where I have located it, anf the ONLY additional part would be the new trigger spring, which, when purchased in quantity, would cost a few cents........ And, Daisy could select that spring to yield any amount
of trigger pull they desired.
 In the current form, the spring wedge does not permit use of the flat spring (which is the first thing owners remove in an attempt to improve the trigger,) but that could be remedied. And Daisy could certainly design it back in.

Anyway, so much for that.

GRM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 3:48pm
Hi Ron,
I too would be very interested in your modified trigger when is available. Let me know or post it on the forum
GRM
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 4:29pm
I used this on a pre-flat spring 880 valve body, and while it was different to do than a VB that has the flat spring, it did work. The pull weight went from 3-3/4 lbs. to 1-1/4 lbs. I have more experimentation to do with balancing the sear spring strength to the return spring strength to make the bolt cycle as easily as possible while still retaining a positive reset and valve actuation, but overall it is a success.

Relocated and shortened sear spring

Sear installed

Return spring now where sear spring used to be

Ronno6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronno6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2021 at 9:21am
Originally posted by GRM GRM wrote:

Hi Ron,
I too would be very interested in your modified trigger when is available. Let me know or post it on the forum
GRM

Thanks, GRM. I will let you know.
I ran into 1 new style 880 in which I had just replaced the exhaust valve, that would not dump all the air past 6 or 7 pumps. I have redesigned the spring seat and am using a new spring that cured the problem. I have new parts en route.
Interesting thing is: I moved the parts from another new style gun which worked flawlessly up to 15 pumps into the problem child, and it wouldn't dump past 8 pumps........I hate stuff like that, but, I think I got it licked!

BTW,,,I ;m heading to Texas in 3 weeks...between Houston and Galveston. We're going up to Fredericksburg to visit the WWII Museum of the Pacific, eat some German food, drink some German Bier, visit the Garrison Bros, Distillery in Hye, and the Alstadt Brewery....I may not remember much...LOL
Ronno6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronno6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by GRM GRM wrote:

Hi Ron,
GRM

Mr. GRM,

I have a limited number of trigger kits available.
Send me an email to   Ronno6@aol.com  and we'll work it out!

Bear in mind that this will NOT work with very early 880's that do not have the flat spring.

Thanks,
Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic