Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 894 Cork Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenkutterrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 7:32pm
Thanks
Handyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2021 at 5:03pm
 Dose anyone know how to remove the froarm on the Daisy 894 cork rifle?  I am hoping to gain better access to the cork chamber.
Fixitman
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2021 at 5:22pm
   Handyman, ask Jackdog  his name is Rick.  I know he familiar with all of the ins and outs of the gun.  He also sells the proper cork balls for them.  I believe it was Rick who had the balls.  Dennis

Keep On Plinking
Handyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 7:32pm
Here is the answer to the Daisy 894 cork rifle getting jammed.

I have a Daisy 894 cork ball rifle I got around 1960 and it has set idle for years until last month.

I first wanted to verify the size of cork ball this rifle uses.  I contacted Daisy and was sent to the Daisy museum but they were no help, they had no info about the toy rifles.  I have been talking with jackdog and he has helped me a lot.  Daisy sold only one cork ball for the cork rifles and that is the ½” agglomerated cork ball which is a ball made with pieces of cork.  This type of cork ball will squeeze through the 3/8” exit hole in the rifle while a ball made of virgin cork will not. 

I got some of the ½” agglomerated cork balls and when I tried to shoot the rifle the cork ball jammed.  It does take 2 balls for the rifle to fire.  I ended up with 3 balls stuck in the chamber and had to remove them.  I found a good trick to remove a stuck ball.  If it is a virgin cork ball you need to use a 3/16” drill bit put in a 12” spade bit holder.  Use an electric drill and run the drill bit in and out and chop up the cork ball and dump out the pieces.  Do this over and over until all the cork balls are out.  If it is a ½” agglomerated cork balls stuck I took a 1” drywall screw and soldered it to a 12” piece of real thick wire (3/32) then you can run the screw into the cork ball with pliers and then pull the ball out of the barrel.

Once the chamber is empty cock the rifle and use a 9mm wire bun brush on a rifle cleaning rod and move it in and out of the chamber many times to clean the chamber.  Next use some 320 or 400 sand paper on the end of a section of ¼” dowel rod.  Cut a slit in the end of the rod 1 ½” long and place a strip of sandpaper in the slit and wrap it around the rod.  It must be less than 3/8” diameter.  Cock the rifle and using an electric drill attached to the rod and run it all the way down and smooth the chamber and the exit hole real good.  Use a plastic tube and blow air down the barrel.  Now follow up with a cleaning pad or piece of cloth dipped in gun cleaning solution and clean the chamber.  Now follow up with some metal polish and a dry piece of cloth.  Lastly put some baby or talcum powder on a clean pad and wipe the side walls of the chamber.  Put some talcum powder in with the cork balls in a plastic bag.  The powder will be a lubricant. 

After doing all of this I was able to get the ½” agglomerated cork balls to fire out of my rifle.  But the ball fires out of the barrel with a delay from when the trigger is pulled. Sometimes the delay is just a split second but other times the delay was 2 to 5 seconds.  I discovered if the ball has been fired before the delay is less because it has been squeezed and is a little smaller Vs a first time used ball.  Also I can hear a squeaking sound during the delay time, like the ball is squeezing through the exit hole then a pop and the cork comes out.

The more times the ½” agglomerated cork balls are shot through the rifle the better it gets.  I took 6 balls that I have shot before.   I make sure talcum powder was on the balls each time through the rifle.  After 4 times through the ball fired out with any delay and with full power.

Here is another thing to do:  Get a piece of ½” PEX plastic tubing from Home Depot or Lowes.  It is sold in 5’ pieces.  Cut it into 6” pieces.  The ID is 7/16” now take 6 cork balls coated w/talcum and push one at a time into the PEX tube for all 6 balls.  Repeat in another section of PEX tubing.  Let the balls set inside the tube for at least an hour or two than use a ¼” piece of dowel rod and push the balls out and now use then in the rifle.  It still will take 4 trips through for the rifle to shot correctly.           

Fixitman
Handyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 2:47pm
In my previous post I was said I was able to get a new ½” cork balls to fire but it was quite difficult to get the ½” agglomerated cork balls to shoot out of my rifle.  Well I did a lot more trial and error and I eliminated the delay and the problems that happen to get a ½” ball to go through the rifle.  The long and the short of it is I developed a process to compress the ½” agglomerated cork balls before putting it into the rifle.  The process I came up with eliminates the ball getting stuck.   I wrote a guide with 40 photos and detail instructions of the step by step process to prepare the ½” agglomerated cork balls for use in the Daisy 894 rifle.  This process requires you to make 2 jigs out of ¾” oak 1 ¼” square with a 15/32” hole drilled ¼” deep. 

Or you can get the ½” agglomerated cork balls to shoot in the 894 rifle by shooting each ball through the rifle 3-4 times.   The second process uses the rifle to compress the cork ball but it takes 3 to 4 attempts of shooting the rifle to get a ball to fire.  Both processes require preparing the rifle firing chamber ahead of time.  Both processes are explained in detail in a .pdf file.  Just send me your e-mail address and I will send you these instructions.

E-mail your request for the Daisy 894 Cork Rifle ball preparation, to:  tamason2@sbcglobal.net 

Fixitman
Handyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 2:49pm
Many thanks to jackdog he was very helpful .
Thanks, Handyman
Fixitman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic