Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DAISY BAYONET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAISY BAYONET
    Posted: January-05-2018 at 7:30pm
how do you tell an original daisy bayonet from a reproduction.  I just bought a no 40 military bb gun and I want to make sure the bayonet is real or if its fake.
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 8:50am
I think the original has a number on the 'inside' of the blade.
I have two different reproductions and neither of them have the number.
Gary

RedRam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 9:18am
ok thanks,  its amazing how little I can find online about this.  All I can find is that reproductions are made but nothing on how to tell the difference.  
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 11:07am
I have done a lot of research on this bayonet as when I began my collecting I bought a Model 40 that had a reproduction bayonet.  At that point, I did know enough to know I didn't know.  In other words I did not know that there were original AND reproduction bayonets.  The gentleman that sold me the Model 40 was an expert collector and did not reveal to me that it was a reproduction bayonet, therefore, I paid for a Model 40 that would have had the original bayonet.  I sold with full disclosure the reproduction bayonet and purchased what I believe to be one of the nicest original bayonets anyone can have.  It also has the original rubber tip.  There is no number anywhere on the original bayonet.  I have seen many bayonets since I have been collecting and one sure sign of an original bayonet is on the inside curve or neck of the bayonet.  The original bayonets have a "tab" design where the neck comes together on the inside curve/neck between the round or circle mount and the blade.  If it is a straight line where the metal comes together it is a reproduction.  I have never seen a reproduction bayonet with the "tab" look.  Hope this helps!

Star   
RedRam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 11:46am
do you have any pictures you could email me of this tab your talking about?
RedRam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 11:52am
from what you are describing mine looks like the real deal so thats a huge relief. I bought it believing it was original but I just want to be positive.  
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 2:22pm
RedRam

Just type in Daisy Bayonets on google and click on images.  You will see a lot of bayonets images.  The one that shows what I am talking about is J&J Military site.  You can roll over the pic of the bayonet and see the tab I am describing.  Good Luck!
rexron911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexron911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 5:39pm
I have the real bayonet, but I used to have the reproduction bayonet too.

The reproduction one I used to have, had a number on it. I sold the reproduction one on E-Bay.

The gentleman that made it said he wanted to number each one.

The reproduction one looks a little crude, but I guess it is better than nothing.

I have pictures of my model 40 with the real bayonet and my model 140 for you to view below.

To view:

1) highlight below link.

2) right click and click open link.

https://imgur.com/a/sPdV7
RedRam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 10:13pm
Thanks for all the information and pictures.  I have learned more on this site than anything on google. 
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 9:15am
Thanks rexron.
The person that told me what an original looks like had it backwards.
I wonder how many variations of the reproductions there are.
One of mine is 10 1/2 inches long not counting the rubber tip and has a thinner blade.
The other is 9 3/4 inches long not counting the tip. 
If someone made numbered ones there must be at least three versions.

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic