Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

daisy defender model 140 box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2018 at 11:31am
I have done a lot of extensive research on the slings for the defender rifles.  I have concluded that indeed the Model 40 is the only sling that has the flat sheet metal type of hooks on each end.  The webbing is khaki colored and is thinner than the other defenders.  The Model 140 is also Khaki colored and has the round hooks on each end like the Models 141 and 142.  The thickness of the webbing for the 140 is like the 141 and 142 (not the 40).  The Models 141 and 142 is like the 140 except they are od green in color.  I have the 40, 141 and 142 original slings and have searched for the Model 140 khaki sling.  In fact, I was going to make a run at the one on Ebay just for the sling.  I have a suspicion that after he posted on this site, someone may have contacted him and worked a deal for the guns he had listed.  Just a thought!
Star  
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2018 at 11:34am
Well, I just read a post that apparently he posted the 140 on GunBroker. 
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2018 at 1:09pm
Yeah, his auctions are all gone from fleabay- they probably removed them.
oneandgone View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2018 at 1:25pm
Ebay is incapable of being consistent with their own rules.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 2:09pm
Anyone here end up with this gun? It sold for $390 on gun broker. It was a gamble, but IF the box turned out to be legit, well worth the price. The condition of the gun was very good, so even if the box wasn't legit it's probably still a decent price.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneandgone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Iceman Iceman wrote:

I have done a lot of extensive research on the slings for the defender rifles.  I have concluded that indeed the Model 40 is the only sling that has the flat sheet metal type of hooks on each end.  The webbing is khaki colored and is thinner than the other defenders.  The Model 140 is also Khaki colored and has the round hooks on each end like the Models 141 and 142.  The thickness of the webbing for the 140 is like the 141 and 142 (not the 40).  The Models 141 and 142 is like the 140 except they are od green in color.  I have the 40, 141 and 142 original slings and have searched for the Model 140 khaki sling.  In fact, I was going to make a run at the one on Ebay just for the sling.  I have a suspicion that after he posted on this site, someone may have contacted him and worked a deal for the guns he had listed.  Just a thought!
Star  

Looking at Gary's book again he makes no mention of the sling except to say that it had "a military-style web sling." I'm curious as to what has led to your conclusion of which sling exactly came with these? The hardware on mine is different that the hardware of the 40 or the 141-142. It is a bit of a hybrid if you will. Half round, half flat. 

Given where this gun came from I believe it to be legit and original. Jeff Sipling is a well known collector, seller, and in my opinion, expert. I think everyone would agree that he is honest and wouldn't advertise it as original if he did not truly believe it to be. I guess it would take me seeing several of these guns which are complete and original, all having a different sling to convince me the one I have is incorrect.
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 4:10pm
I certainly do not claim to be an expert on any subject.  I have gained a lot of knowledge of Daisy's over the years and still have plenty of room to learn more.  I think we all can agree that the Model 40 has the tan or khaki colored web sling with sheet metal buckle and attachments.  Gary provides great pics and description of this sling in his book.  I have the Model 40 with the original sling and bayonet.  Gary also addressed the Model 141 and 142 as "each sported a green web sling that attached to the barrel and stock.  I also have both Model 141 and 142 with the original green or OD colored slings.  The attachments are round compared to the flat attachments on the Model 40.  Just a note here is that I have seen many 141 and 142 Models sold with a sling that was apparently from a Model 98 or 99.  The slings typically sported an alligator style clamp instead of the buckle.  This leaves the Model 140.  You are correct that Gary does not address the color of the sling.  I have paid very close attention to every Model 140 that I have seen posted for sale, particularly if it sported a sling.  I must say that most Model 140s did not have any sling with them.  I have seen a few Model 140s I believe to sport an original sling.  These guns sported a military web style sling with the rounded attachments and buckle style clamp.  One major difference they all had was they were tan or khaki colored.  So, it is my humble opinion that the Model 140 sling is very similar to the Model 141 and Model 142 with the exception of color.  So, I guess that one could refer to it as a hybrid since it is colored like the Model 40 and constructed with buckle and attachments like the Models 141/142.  I actually can not speak to the hybrid of mixing of round and flat attachments/buckle.  I personally have not seen this type of sling.  I also have the opinion that the webbing on the Model 140 is a thickness somewhere between the Model 40 and Models 141/142.  I also have the Model 140 that I currently have a pristine Model 141/142 sling on it.  I have been searching for the Model 140 sling for many years now. 

Unfortunately, I do not know Mr. Jeff Sipling.  If he is the individual in Branson advertising the Model 140 we have been discussing, I actually made the comment that I would like the buy the gun for the sling only as I believe it is indeed an original sling.  Take a look at it, especially the color.  I have no idea about the box being original.  He said is was.  If so, it certainly appeared to be in pristine, unused condition.  Again, in my humble opinion, I thought the Model 140 itself was average and apparently had something carved on the stock.  

These are my thoughts and opinions on the slings for the Defender rifles.  I have all four hanging on my office wall and enjoy them every day.

Star

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 5:36pm
Interesting discussion in re the slings.
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 6:51pm
Yes very interesting discussion. 
 The 140 that I have sports a khaki or tan sling like the 40  but the hardware is different as was mentioned before. The 141/142 slings are very similar to the  140 except for them being olive green. Another thing that I have noticed is that the 40 slings seem to be shorter than the other 3 by about 6 inches or so as observed on my own Defenders.  I too have them hanging on the wall in my man cave to enjoy every day. They kind of grow on you.
Rhomsey01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhomsey01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2020 at 4:44pm
I believe I have the sling for the 140 model. I bought the gun from Baker’s Air Gun in Ohio
Rodger Homsey
513-601-3809
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic