Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy double barrel on American Pickers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy double barrel on American Pickers
    Posted: May-04-2020 at 6:54pm
   Yesterday while watching American Pickers I saw that Mike was looking at a Daisy double barrel shotgun. (Possible re-run ?) It was beautiful and and it looked like a real shotgun. I noticed that when he tried to cock it that he put it on the edge of a table and push down on the stock. It was obviously very hard to cock.
    I think that he bought it for about $600.
    After that I looked in my Gary Garber encyclopedia and noticed that he had a picture of one with a broken stock and a comment that they are prone to breaking.
With the value of them, I just can't imagine trying to cock one and breaking it.
That would ruin my day.     

Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 9:54am
Yes, not easy, you were cocking two power plants at the same time. Just one reason they were not very popular. The original 104 had a wood stock and the reintroduced 21 had a plastic stock that was even more fragile.
Since most kids did not like them production numbers were low for both models and they are sought after now.
Gary
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 10:21am
If you follow eBay, the double barrels are bringing absolute premium prices.  Some even bringing $2000-$3000+ for one in great condition (some with box which is rare).  I have both the Model 104 and Model 21 (with box and original manual).  Although, I have been very tempted to sell at this time, I simply cannot bring myself to part with these beautiful guns.  My model 21 is the light stock/forearm variant which the stock is reinforced compared with the darker stock/forearm variant.  I did see that pickers episode and yes it was a rerun that I viewed quite a while ago.

Star  
Steve
Ford57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 2:16pm
Gary and Steve
   I can understand how cocking two power plants could be real tough for a child.
    In the 50's I can remember how cocking my RR was tough when I was about 12.
    2K to 3K is a staggering amount. I don't remember them (double barrel) in my early years. Fast forward to now from the pictures that I see of them, Daisy sure did do a nice job of making them. Does anyone know if the double barrel BB guns were actually designed for children or adults? As nice as they are, I think that they were for adults. This still not be the first time that I was wrong.
     In my collection of stuff I discovered 3 pop guns that I forgot about. The one that is not working is a plain double barrel Daisy. The strange thing is that it is only marked Daisy with nothing else on it. It's funny how we change over the years and get interested in things that we didn't care for years ago.
Jay       
Iceman View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 10:01pm
I grew up as a child in the 50's.  The 104 double barrel was 1938-1940 and the Model 21 was 1968-1972.  Therefore, one manufactured way before my time (and they did not sell many) and one when I was in college and subsequently newly married.  They were simply not on the market at the times I would have had an interest.  However, I did not even know that they existed until I started collecting Daisy's.  

As for whether they were made for children or not.  It is my opinion that they were for children, however, you are right that they were heavy and hard to cock.  As a result, they did not go over very well.  But there were many other models that really were not designed with children in mind.  A couple that come to mind are the Model 40 with bayonet and Model 140.  Both are heavy are hard to manipulate if you were a child.  I also have found that the 107 Buck Jones is certainly a challenge to cock as well.  I am just not sure what the design engineers were thinking back in the day.  But, I am glad they made them!  
Star

Steve
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2020 at 8:44am
I am not sure Daisy had much of an adult marketing strategy back then unless it was to appeal to men who used a double barrel to buy one for their son.

The straight back 107 action comes from a Markham design that was an attempt to compete with Daisy's  'elbow' style No 25. When Daisy bought out Markham they eventually adopted the design as a less expensive pump gun in its stable. 
Yes they are much harder to cock than the 25's. Kids must have been a lot stronger back then.
Gary
Yng@hrt View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yng@hrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 9:50pm
There's some discussion as to whether or not the Model 21 or 104 were made for children or adults. My guess would be adults. Two obvious problems for kids, one that's already been mentioned...hard to cock & special care must be taken so as to not damage the stock. The second would be reaching the forward trigger. It takes large adult hands. No way could a kid pull that trigger w/o moving his/her hand off the pistol grip.

Favorite guns; Daisy's, Benji's & Sheridan's
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2020 at 6:17am
You could probably check the advertising for the 104 and 21 to see what market Daisy was aiming at.
Did they change where they advertised the doubles compared to the kids guns and did they direct the ads at adults?
One of the major strengths of Daisy was their advertising.

Gary
Yng@hrt View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yng@hrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2020 at 7:43am
Favorite guns; Daisy's, Benji's & Sheridan's
BB1Shooter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2020 at 1:23pm
Wow only $5 for one.

What's that in today's dollars?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic