Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy/Heddon Model 572 disassembly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highfigh@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy/Heddon Model 572 disassembly?
    Posted: January-14-2024 at 1:53pm
I have a Model 572 and it needs a new seal. I'm the original (kid) owner and it hasn't been used in a long time. The mechanism works/sounds like it always did but there's no air. coming out. I took a few minutes to remove the visible screws but didn't want to force anything- at that time, I found nothing as far as info, so it went on the back burner.

If anyone has info WRT parts & disassembly, it would be appreciated.

Part of the reason I want to do this- I found a box with about 3000 BBs.

Thanks
highfigh@yahoo.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highfigh@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2024 at 10:30am
OK, I figured out how to disassemble it to remove the seal, which is pretty hard and non-functional and I have read that 100% Petroleum oil is bad- should I use Hoppe gun oil?
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2024 at 12:41pm
Jim,  Seeing that your gun is from 1967 -1971 there are very few parts available online.  If you could take a Venier calipers and tell us what the diameter is maybe somebody here can find the seals for it.  When they get hard, I don't believe they will soften up and seal like they should.  
Keep On Plinking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highfigh@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2024 at 6:33pm
I found this by searching (I use DuckDuckGo) but it's pricey ($25.95)- https://www.jgairguns.biz/572-c-78_186_585/dai1894phs1-plunger-head-seal-set-p-14814.html. 

I checked ebay and found parts that look very similar but nobody has dimensions, including Daisy (I called this morning). Daisy did, however, send a list of gunsmiths who repair these and I exchanged messages with one who said mine needs a smaller size. 

I don't have my vernier caliper up here but with a tape measure, mine is 11/16" diameter and from the back of the oil washer, it's 5/8". The seal is pretty hard and there's no way it can do its job- last time I tried to send a BB, it rolled out and fell to the ground, like Droopy Dog in the cartoons. 

I found another seal kit with dimension of 13/16" at the middle of the side, which is a bit larger than mine, but I'll find a way to measure the bore to see if it will work. 

Worst case, I spend for the first link and if it is the correct part, I'll have a BB gun that should outlast me (I'll hit 67 in April). 

Thanks.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2024 at 7:47pm
Jim,  It looks like the model 26 and the 572 has a tapered barrel like the 1894.  So, the seals for the 1894 will fit.  You can get the whole kit on Ebay with the air tube and wiper or just the seals.  Make sure you lube the barrel and coat the seal and wiper with oil when assembling.  I use ATF Dextron transmission fluid.  I've had a set of new and a hard old set soaking in it for about 7 years now and there are no effects on the seals.  I've had a set of those guns and sold them a while ago but never shot them much.  

Lube the barrel before installing the plunger.

lube the seal and the wiper to provide lubrication when cocking.  This is why Daisy provided an oiling hole in all guns with rubber seals.  The seal will get tight if it dries out, rubber on steel needs lube, especially on a tapered air chamber.  The old leather seals had lube soaked into the leather.

Keep On Plinking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highfigh@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 9:48am
Yeah, those in the last photo are like mine- are those yours? I always had a good time with it. 

How do you clean the barrel, long pipe cleaner with gun cleaning solvent? 

WRT the leather seals- I have a Crossman CO2 BB/pellet pistol and its leather was dry & crusty when I replaced all of them. Now that I think of it, I paid more for those seals than the expensive ones for my Daisy. 
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 12:10pm
They were mine but I sold them a few years ago.  You can clean the barrel with a dauber pulled through with a string or wire.  You can cut out cloth patches and poke a hole in the middle and slide over the dauber until it gets the right size to clean the barrel.  I always use brake cleaner, works good to remove oil and grease.
Keep On Plinking
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 12:13pm
Here is parts list and instructions for 572 and 26..
Might be of some use for you.
Both have same plunger parts but parts list  show different part numbers,  barrel is tapered as noted by Dennis (twocompassheads) and is as I recall the same as the 1894 plunger .  I did reseal mine about 10 years ago with little improvement in shooting power.  

Aim Straight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highfigh@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 12:38pm
Wow! I had lost my instructions!

Mine had zero pressure, so if it's as good as new or close to it, it will be great. 

Thanks for the info!
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2024 at 8:54am
Great info, guys! 

Rick, your archive of printed Daisy material must be the most extensive in existence!

Dennis, I see the retainer pin on your plunger assembly has flat sides, so I'm curious if the air tube is a current production piece?

I had either a 26 or 572, I don't recall which. Curiosity of what model it was, is what brought me to this forum in the first place. In my opinion it is one of the best looking Daisy ever made. It was fun to shoot, I'd estimate mine shot nearly 300 fps and was reasonably accurate. While it worked the cocking motion was easy to manage, and it shouldered as good as any gun. One day while I was plinking with it, it failed to cock- same as thousands of them have done, and that was that. It could have been a classic, but sadly its lack of durability doomed it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic