Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy Model 26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 6:28am
Originally posted by jackdog jackdog wrote:

Here is the Original manual from the 26. Actual manual is 7.5 inch by 11 inch unfolded ,Printed doubled sided on a single sheet of Newspaper type paper then... It was folded in quarters...  
Right click on the images below than select open in new tab.. then right click and select save image to your computer.. Than you can print or view.

Please note parts list differs from Cobalt's listing above since that was the model 572 parts diagram.
I do not know if there are any differences between the 26 and 572.  I am not an expert on these guns, and do not have any 572's to compare.   But I believe they were the same... 

Front

Back 

Regards, Rick

Thank you very much, Rick! This original manual is very helpful! I also appreciate your sharing your experience with these guns.
Regards gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 4:35pm
Good thread, thanks Rick. I'll add the 26 diagram, it lacks some detail compared to the 572 drawing. The forearm return spring looks like it could be used to close a screen door!

jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 1:00am
Smile  Good one Mark!  The forearm thig-a-ma-gig thing with the gear on the end looks like the tool I use to replace screens on a screened door also!! LOL   Rick

BTW  this 26 was not a pleasure to disassemble!   I had my doubts about putting it back together... 
Good luck Ken with your project.   I also remember somewhere you might be able to swell the plunger back to a usable size using acetone , but I wouldn't bet or rely on my memory.  Anyone have any tips on restoring and swelling rubber out there???
Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 1:33am
ATF stop-leak was formulated to soften and slightly swell rubber seals, and Tom Gaylord swears by it, so it might be worth a try. I'd imagine it might take soaking in a container of it for a fairly long tome to make much difference, given the thickness of the piston.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by jackdog jackdog wrote:

Smile  Good one Mark!  The forearm thig-a-ma-gig thing with the gear on the end looks like the tool I use to replace screens on a screened door also!! LOL   Rick

BTW  this 26 was not a pleasure to disassemble!   I had my doubts about putting it back together... 
Good luck Ken with your project.   I also remember somewhere you might be able to swell the plunger back to a usable size using acetone , but I wouldn't bet or rely on my memory.  Anyone have any tips on restoring and swelling rubber out there???

Thank you, Jackdog. I have the gun filled with ATF and muzzle down to allow the ATF to work if it can. I will check it in a few days.
Even though this gun has more than 95% original finish and a perfect stock, I don't intend to do much more with it because of the two small holes someone drilled in the top of the receiver for a scope, the missing sight elevator, and how delicate the mechanism has proven. 
It might as well be in my collection as the only example of a model 26 I have ever owned.
gkenny.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

ATF stop-leak was formulated to soften and slightly swell rubber seals, and Tom Gaylord swears by it, so it might be worth a try. I'd imagine it might take soaking in a container of it for a fairly long tome to make much difference, given the thickness of the piston.

Thanks again cobalt, the gun is filled with ATF and muzzle down for a few days, I will let you know the results. Regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 2:54pm
This discussion prompted me to finally get around to resealing an older Daisy 880 that uses the expensive cup seal. I did the reseal using a cup seal that came from a gun that would not pump at all. I have been soaking it in stop-leak for, well, probably 2 years by now. Bottom line is the gun shoots as good as new, so the stop-leak can work. I should mention the cup seal is much thinner than a Daisy rubber piston. If a piston was soaked long enough it might work, but stop-leak is probably better for thinner seals like a cup as opposed to a piston.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2022 at 7:02pm
A friend has a model 26 that has stopped shooting. He wants to get inside of it, but wasn't sure about removing the forearm assembly. Rick, can you or Ken (or someone who has done this) remember anything about disassembling the gear train or even "just" removing the forearm assembly that might help him?
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2022 at 6:08pm
mark.. wish i could help, but can not at the moment.  cannot recall exactly what i did about 15 years ago to tear down my 26.  would like to get down to my man cave to look at the 26 and jog my memory but cant make it there.  i did not find it all that complicated as i recall.  forearm comes off with a few screws , then the loading tube, and gear stuff.  plunger like normal. i vaguely recall the larger screw on forward part of receiver cover acted like the large screw on the 25,  and allowed the barrel to be pulled apart from receiver.  i think.   best i can do at moment..
rick
Aim Straight
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2022 at 7:33pm
Thank you, Rick. I'll pass that along and in the meantime, you take care of yourself!

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic