Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy model 97

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy model 97
    Posted: October-30-2019 at 2:22pm
The shot tube on a daisy model 97 I have will not turn to open. I have the muzzle submerged in a container of p b blaster.I tried using channel locks carefully but there is no movement counterclockwise.there is a bit of rust around the shot tube . I'm trying not to ruin this fine rifle. Can someone help me out? I was lucky to find this forum and I appreciate the knowledge you folks have. Thank you.
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 3:53pm
Ron, it is probably not stuck at the muzzle, but in the area where it actually screws into the gun on the other end of the shot tube.  Try standing it upright (Make sure the gun is not cocked) and try oil down the barrel and let stand and soak for awhile. Then try working a little it to see if it will come loose.  If this doesn't work I would try P B blaster or WD 40 down the barrel and let it stand and see if I could work it loose before I took it apart.
Pat
Ronk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 1:48pm
39 hunter not having any luck getting the shot tube loose on the model 97. Could I be turning it the wrong way ? As I look directly at the muzzle I am trying to turn it counterclockwise.

Could I be going the wrong way ? I appreciate your help. Ron k.
39hunter View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 39hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 4:25pm
Ron, counterclockwise is the correct way to remove it.  If you end up damaging the shot tube, and need to replace it, the Daisy Red Ryder 111, Model 40, the 94 Red Ryder, the 111 Western Carbine, and the Red Ryder 1938 all use the same shot tube. 

Pat
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 4:35pm
You could try heating the general area where it screws into the rifle. Sometimes the old oil, rust etc gets real hard and heat could loosen it up
Stevec
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 5:59pm
Just my two cents.... Did you put the penetrant in the muzzle? or where the BBs load? Make sure it goes in where the BBs load and let it stand upright for a couple of days. Lightly tap the muzzle every now and then to help loosen any potential rust. Be gentle. Breaking the shot tube off at the threads is a heartbreaker.
Air-It-Is
Ronk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 9:17pm
The propane torch is right in front of me.I considered that the other day .Was hoping not to do that. I let the muzzle soak in a container of p b blaster for days. I poured p b blaster and 20wt non detergent oil down the barrel around the shot tube and right down the barrel.     
I sat the rifle upright on the butt for a few days. I won't be giving up . I want to shoot it . I thank you gentlemen for all this help. Ronk
Ronk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 1:04am
I just managed to remove the shot tube from the model 97. I had to use the torch a small ball peen hammer and an aluminum drift. I put the drift on the tab that's connected to the top of the shot tube. I kept heating and using the drift. A lot of p b blaster. Took some time. A lot of orange in there. The shot tube appears to be OK ,however the seam at the loading hole is out of alignment and there is a small dimple on the barrel seam. I cocked the rifle about half way Nothing seems to bind. Maybe I can drift it back with a wood drift.Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks 39hunter stevec airitis.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 6:05am
Good job! Those rusted shot tubes can be a reaal chore to remove. A while ago I bought what looked like a nice 111-40 only to find that someone had broken off the shot tube and all that was left was the stub with the threads rusted solid to the abutment. It took a LOT of work and time to finally get it out.

Tools I bought just for this

Borescope photos of the stub down inside the barrel shroud

Photos of the compression tube side of the abutment showing rusted shot tube 

Ronk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 2:08pm
Thank you cobalt 327 for the photos. The ones looking down the barrel are frightening. I hope I don't run into another frozen shot tube for awhile or perhaps never.I'm going to put the model 97 back together today. Hope the seals aren't torn up from all the penetrating oil I put in it. Do you think I should rinse the rifle out ? A lot of orange inside. If so, can you tell me what I might use? Again thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic