Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy No. 102 Model 36: shot tube issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy No. 102 Model 36: shot tube issues
    Posted: January-14-2016 at 2:52pm
Hello,

This is my first post so thank you for being a new member of this community. I'm 55 and I've had BB guns my whole life, well since 1972 on. My first BB gun is the No102-36 that I'm asking help with. I've had many since and wish that I had kept them all including a 1894, model25, 1010 pistol, 880 power line and others. I was reunited with my 880 and no.102 over the Christmas holiday as we went through my Mothers attic. I gave the fully functional 880 to my nephew and brought my old friend the No.102 home.

So the 102 looks good and works well and shoots strong and true... except that the BB will roll out the barrel when pointed downward. My understanding is that the retaining spring is malfunctioning and needs to be reset or replaced. To get to it, the shot tube has to be unscrewed and removed from the barrel housing. That's where I'm having a problem.

I can turn the shot tube end knob indefinitely either counter clockwise or clock wise, which leaves me in a position where I cannot remove the shot barrel to inspect and replace as required. I've tried with the gun in fired-uncocked or cocked states. This is where I need help.

I'm thinking that where the shot tube mates to the air tube seat, might have fused/oxidized/jammed-up over the decades. I will try to shoot some WD-40 down the BB port and let it drip and slide down to the shot tube screw end to see if that helps. But the fact that I can turn it either way already, makes me also think the screw base is turning when it should not. Ideas are welcomed.

Best regards
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 3:38pm
Someone will probably have a better and more detailed list to try but are you pulling out on the tube as you unscrew it?
The air tube can get peened out from hitting the BB's or end of the shot tube if not lined up.
I would not use a lot of force, just hold the gun in one hand and turn/pull with the other. Anything you do by hand should not damage anything.
Hopefully someone will offer something if that does not work. It may involve a mechanical means to force it out but something may break or is broke if you need that.
Good luck on getting your old gun going.
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 3:42pm
Thanks, I tried pulling whilst turning CCW on the knob end of the shot tube. I bet you're correct about the peening theory. Who knows how this little guy has been moved around or even bumped or dropped over the decades of my absence.
pmo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 4:01pm
I had a similar with an old DAISY 1000 I purchased...When I tried to screw it out ( counter-clockwise ) it refused to unscrew...I first thought the THREADS on the shot tube had worn out but in fact the ABUTMENT washer that is normally FIXED in place had loosened...when I turned the shot tube left or right the abutment washer ( which was locked to the shot tube ) would rotate with the thread on the shot tube...If you can SET this ABUTMENT WASHER back in position you should be able to unscrew the shot tube by turning clockwise...be sure to let it soak with some oil first to loosen any corrosion...PHIL
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 4:45pm
@Phil,

Thanks for the insight. I see the abutment washer (item G) in the no. 102 model 36 assembly blow up diagram. What I cannot see is how that would be seated such that it wouldn't spin. I presume it is keyed and seated such that it won't spin when properly positioned. What I cannot also tell if the shot tube should be pulled or pushed when turned CCW to remove the shot tube. I've tried both with bare hands as much as I could grip it.

No luck. I'll let the WD-40 do its magic while the gun is propped up right.

PS,
Did you mean to remove the shot tube by turning CCW when you said this?

".....If you can SET this ABUTMENT WASHER back in position you should be able to unscrew the shot tube by turning clockwise"
pmo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 4:54pm
If you look at the BOTTOM of the STEEL SHROUD below the steel ABUTMENT WASHER you will see some indentations made by a special tool used by DAISY repair men...these DENTS in the metal hold the washer in place....when I had my problem I got frustrated and cut the SHROUD with a pipe cutter to reclaim the shot tube...you might be able to use pressure from a table vise to sieze the washer and hold it in place while you unscrew the shot tube...like I said DAISY repair men use a special 2 prong tool to make these shallow dents....PHIL
pmo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 5:01pm
I should also add that WD-40 will melt the synthetic washer...also avoid using 3 in one oil...these 2 oils will eventually gum up the works...DAISY wants you to use SAE 30 wt NON-DETERGENT oil for best results...you can order this online at AMAZON for a total of $4.75 delivered to your door...thats what I paid for mine a month ago....PHIL
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 5:26pm
Feel free to correct my math here...
It appears that those stake indents in the barrel housing are the abutment washer's key lock. The drawing shows that the indents are on the aft stock end of the washer. This makes me think that I should push the shot tube down along its axial length while turning CCW; in so doing, the shot tube bushes the abutment washer against the intents.

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 7:49pm
I think you guys are right about the threaded end of the shot tube being sort of fused in the part of the gun it screws into and then that part spinning freely so you can't unscrew the shot tube. However, the shot tube doesn't screw into the abutment washer. The abutment washer is a piece of leather or rubber in later guns that seals the fore end of the air chamber. The shot tube crews into a steel doughnut thing that is somehow held in a steel inner tube that is welded to the gun "barrel". It may be a friction fit that has loosened. I have a D 95 that acts sort of like how you describe your 102. The shot tube will screw in and then simply spin if I try to tighten it any more. It will still unscrew though. Gently heating the guns barrel around where you can see those weld spots may loosen the grease that may have gummed up the threads on the shot tube. Then try to unscrew it. If that fails, try a padded vice in the same spot. Pretty sure that's your issue.
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
pmo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:30pm
That sounds like great advise to me...I had limited experience and no diagrams to follow so I chose to recover the shot tube...Fuse has the right idea....PHIL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic