Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy No. 102 Model 36: shot tube issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 12:32pm
Tried heating the tube with a hair dryer until it was too hot to touch, nothing happened. Maybe it needs to be done longer.

Tried gently squeezing the tube with large curved jawed pliers, nothing again. I was concerned about crushing it, so I didn't over do it.

Looks like the next tact would be to fully dissemble the gun to gain access to this abutment joint from the back end. I don't have this tool, and I see its $50 to buy. My other option is a Daisy gun smith who wants $80.   
pmo View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:06pm
I think a padded table vise might give you more control...padding on the JAWS with the seam side UP applying pressure until you feel resistance...if the threads are FROZEN in the donut you may have to repeat this several times...there are plans for a homade spring compressing tool...but simple tools are cut from 1/2 inch tubing and will work...Phil
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 4:06pm
I'll give it a very careful try, as I do have a table top vise.

I don't have metal working tools but I do have a dremmel and maybe a PVC tube might do the trick. I cannot pick out the actual dimensions off this image off the tool. Maybe someone can and post it here. Might make a nice little community service to home cottage this tool inexpensively.

the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 4:50pm
Disassembling the gun wont help much. The part that the shot tube screws into is integral to the gun frame. It was never meant to be accessed. The padded vice may work. Then lube the threads with Moly so they dont bind again. If all fails, I'd try staking it in place with a small nail set. Not ideal but that is a last resort before scavenging it for parts and.......
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 5:04pm
OK, for hucks and giggles I put my D 95 in a padded vice to see if I could get the shot tube to stop spinning clockwise. Yup. I tightened it down over the welds and the stake marks where the shot tube screws in. It screwed in and came to a stop. Should work for you.....depending on how badly gummed/galled your shot tube is in them threads. 
Rick Cates View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 5:23pm
I agree with all the advice posted on the removal and have one more piece of advice.
I have had one shot tube that twisted loose on the cap end of the tube and acted the same way described here.
With mine I just happened to look closely down the tube while twisting on it and noticed that the end cap was moving and the inside of the tube was not.
I took a small tapered punch and drove it down the tube then was able to unscrew the entire tube.
Like I said I have only encountered that one time in my 60 years of experience with Daisys.
Might be worth a look.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick in TX
Rick - Lifetime Museum Member
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 8:49pm
The shot tube and the BB hole cover turn together, and i can see the barrel turning when i twist the muzzle knob. This tells me they are turning together and not spinning on the end.

I've tried sqeezing the stake area from both over the indents and 90* from them. Compressed to the point where the barrel housing started to separate and it was taking significant force to turn the vise bar. More and I'm sure it would be permanently deformed.

Am I compressing it in the right place?
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 9:37pm
Not really the right place. The doughnut thing you are after is just in front of those two dimples that stake the abutment washer. They are about an inch past where the "barrel" widens. Tighten your vise just ahead of them. 
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:17pm
Ok but that cut away drawing showed it where I squeezed it. But that didn't work so I'll try again.
AV8R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:20pm
Ok but that cut away drawing showed it where I squeezed it. But that didn't work so I'll try again.
By "in front of the dimples", do you mean closer to where I was squeezing and not closer to the trigger ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic