Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

daisy red ryder christmas story edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
m1orear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1orear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: daisy red ryder christmas story edition
    Posted: January-11-2016 at 4:38pm

What is a 1983 red ryder christmas story edition mint in unopened 1984 box be worth?

thanks
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 6:36pm
Rarety makes value tricky on them. I'm not exactly a collector so I can only give you my advice from a sellers point of view. If I was selling one that I had, I wouldn't accept less than $700. If I couldn't get that, I'd just leave it in my attic for another few years. That's assuming the gun was truly an original and in 100% condition and it was a cello wrapped...carded one. I have a feeling that collectors would value a carded, cello wrapped Christmas Story gun above the boxed ones. I know that folk swear there were boxed Christmas story originals but....... BTW one has to be very careful as this gun has been counterfeited alot. You need to check the registration # to be sure it was made in a lot that were to be Christmas story guns. Don't know how much that helps you with the one you speak of. Good luck with it.
OK, OK. I do have alot of airguns and some folk might call that a collection. They are lots of fun. However, I'm not married to any of them....I'm married to Karen. Wink
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
m1orear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1orear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 6:58pm
thanks for the info. the one i have is the box version released in 1984. after further inspection i found that the end had been opened, so i took it out and looked at it. its got all the paperwork, the compas and the sundial in the stock. the lot number is 9105 4455.
  also, i ah ve a red ryder that has a medallion in the stock that reads" its a daisy" and inscripted on the side in gold lettering that says limited edition red ryder.  cant find anything on the web about that particular medallion. any info on this gun would be helpful.
thanks
matt
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 7:43pm
Matt, I don't believe you have an original Christmas Story gun. The Lot # on an original should start with a 3 or a 4 followed by a letter. The 3 or 4 indicate either 1983 or 1984 and the letter indicates what month it was made. For instance mine has a Lot # of 3H03806. You may have one of Daisy's Christmas Dream guns made to commemorate the originals. I think they made 4 or five of them on 5 year anniversaries. 
plevesque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plevesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 5:15pm
As the previous poster mentioned, Christmas Dreams were made in 1983 and 1984.  These were the only years that Daisy officially made this model.  (A little speculation on this below.)  Your lot number indicates that yours was made in 1989.  The only Christmas Dream models released after 1984 were the 20th, 25th, and 30th anniversary commemorative models available through the Daisy Museum.  These are marked and numbered as shown below:

20th Anniversary

25th Anniversary

The original release of the Christmas Dream was in a cellohane wrapped cardboard package as seen in the bottom of this picture.  A lot have turned up in the box, however.  The one shown here (second from bottom) was purchased from someone who had it in storage for a long time.  It's a lot number 4 rifle, and the original directions for the sundial were included, leading me to believe that this was the way it was sold.

Just a little speculation on my part, but it is possible some Christmas Dreams were sold in the late 1980's in the box.  I found a post written a long time ago from someone who stated that he ordered a batch through Daisy in 1988.  I also have a "fake" in the collection that is a 1989 gun, which does not appear to have been tampered with.  So it is possible, but only possible, that Daisy used old parts to fulfill orders placed years later.  It is also known, however, that daisy sold off a bunch of surplus stocks, and that these have been placed on normal Red Ryders to increase their value.  I've picked up several over the years, as well as a few undrilled stocks.  One of the surplus stocks sits in a display attached to a 1938 model that looks much closer to Ralphie's gun from the movie.

As for value, only the '83 and '84 guns are considered original, and they're the ones that fetch a premium.  I picked up my 1989 on Gunbroker a few months back for a little over $100, which may have been too much, but it's in really nice shape.  I'd like to see some pics of your box to see if it matches mine.  If you can't post here, I'll send an email address.
daisy addiction View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisy addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 6:09pm
  Great info plevesqu ! Thanks Clap
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 7:45pm
You have a nice collection there. And it sounds like you have a real interest in these 
Christmas guns. Did you notice that there have just come up some of the stocks on Ebag? At least one of them looks like an original. 
m1orear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1orear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 9:18pm
Plevsque, thanks for the info. The gun I'm talking about is currently on ebay. Search for 1983 daisy red ryder. I think now that the gun is a 1989 red Ryder with an 83 or 84 stock. The box is an 84 with the Christmas Story sticker on it. I actually have 2 of these. Check it out and let me know.
Thanks
Matt
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 6:51pm
It's funny plevesque, I have a 1983 original and the three later commemoratives. I took a similar pic of them to show a friend. When I first saw your pic on here I thought I was in the twilight zone. You have a very similar carpet. The other three are in the attic but here's a pic of my '83 Christmas Story. Very similar condition. 
Not sure what it means but it looks like someone tried to pry out that compass at some time. I mean the one for sale on Ebay right now.
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 6:57pm
Whoops. Forgot the pic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic