Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy red ryder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wjs1954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy red ryder
    Posted: October-02-2019 at 8:16am
I purchased one at auction last night, most likely to sell I am looking for any information on it. It is a Red Ryder carbine No 111 model 40 pat 8805551062855, other pats pend. Daisy MFG Co PLYMOUTH Michigan USA this is marked top of barrel between sight and stock. Stock is wood with Red Ryder on left side, barrel grip is plastic. It does have saddle ring with leather strap. The handle moves freely but does not cock gun? Trigger does have spring attached. Gun is in good shape. Thank you Wally
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 8:40am
TL-DR It's likely a 1950-'51 transitional Red Ryder.

This is from an online info site Daisy King. Their site has been unavailable for weeks now, hopefully it'll be back soon. Fortunately I have screen shots of some of it.

Daisy had just begun using plastic in place of wood. Many of the early plastic stocks and forarms suffered from warpage. And in my opinion the change to plastic never should have happened. Fortunately, in about 1972 someone who had enough clout changed this and wood began to be used again on the Red Ryder. Incidentally, this was also during Daisy's Heddon/Victor years. There were a lot of things going on during this period of Daisy's history.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Wjs1954 Wjs1954 wrote:

The handle moves freely but does not cock gun?
Can you feel the spring compressing when you open the lever? If not then the lever's broken. If you can, the problem has something to do with the trigger-to-plunger interaction. The sear surfaces of the trigger or plunger could be worn or broken but this is rare (in fact I've never seen a gun so worn it wouldn't cock). Most times a no cock situation is caused by the trigger spring missing, out of position or too weak.

If you cock the gun while pushing the trigger forward to help the spring, can you get it to catch? 
When you cock the gun, right at the end of the opening cocking stroke does the trigger move back then forward a small amount?
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 9:52am

Another thing to check is if the hook on the lever that grabs the plunger is not broken off. I had a model 90 that the previous owner said would not fire when in reality was never cocked because of a broken lever. Put a good one in there and presto, fixed. You couldn't tell it was broken until you took it off.

Also what's up with the Daisy King site? Hope it returns as I went there often to refresh my memory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic