Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy RR Carbine Model No 94

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy RR Carbine Model No 94
    Posted: July-03-2009 at 3:46pm

Recently I was attempting to catorgarize one of my Model No 94 carbines and ran right into a brick wall.  In order to follow along you will have to open Gary Garber's "Encyclopedia" to page 312 and read the descriptions of variation 3 and 4; I consumed hours trying to figure out what I had in front of me and kept turning that carbine over and over and finally gave up.Confused

I sought Gary's help and he said I had a variation 3.25 or 3.5 or 3.75, whichever I wanted to call it.  For all intents and purposes my rifle should not have had a silk screened receiver because the saddle ring was fastened to the receiver with a rivet that was visible from the right side; silk screened receivers had internal fasteners as variation 4's.  I think Gary hit the nail on the head when he suggested that during the manufacturing process a work station ran out of the plain receivers and the expediters or whomever that supplies the work stations with parts when they need replenishment brought in a load of the silk screened receivers being staged for the next production run that would have been used for variation 4.

So BB gunners, take a closer look at your Model No 94 Red Ryder Carbines and see what you have.

The Lot No on mine is B417934, patents 1,062,825 - 2,226,620, was made  Jan 27, 1956; I got a Daisy two flap brown leather pouch with it when it came from the seller and it was hung from a home made rawhide sling attached to the carbine.Smile

You can see what that pouch looks like by viewing Plate 6-26 on page 311 of the "Encyclopedia."

I know you all are waiting for the question, well here it is, does anyone else have a variation 3.25 or 3.5 or 3.75Question I am going to identify mine as a variation 3.5!!!

I have looked at every post on the DTF and there are only two inquiries pertaining to the Model No. 94, each from the same individual requesting information on how to obtain a leather boot for his carbine.

I think that the Red Ryder Carbine Model No. 94 is really significant because it was a radical departure from the Red Ryder Carbine No. 111 No 40 and was completely eliminated when the Red Ryder Model 1938 replaced it in the Red Ryder series.

I just reread page 315 of the "Encyclopedia" and discovered the following sentence: "There are, however, early versions of this variation  (meaning variation 4) that do not have the silk-screening." To me, that means the expediter that resupplied the production line made two mistakes; he delivered a load of silk-screened receivers to a work station that needed replenishment for the variation 3 series, and later, when the variation 4 production lines were set up, out came the load of plain receivers that should have been furnished to the work station while variation 3 was in process.

Either a box of receivers was mis-identified, or placed in the wrong pick up location for stock replenishment while the production run was in process.

Well, even the U. S. Mint makes mistakes once in awhile.

semper fi
DaisyBBgunner View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 8:46am

Will,

I imagine there was no thought in the Daisy assembly process of making uniquely different variations of their guns.  They probably just put on whatever part was in the top of a bin.

I had a Mustang once that Ford built in the summer of 1965.  It had parts on it that were unique to the 1966 version because the new style parts showed up early at the assembly line.  Same thing at Daisy, I think.

I arbitrarily chose the variation numbers in the Daisy Encyclopedia decades after production of the Model 94 and after studying many dozens of known guns.  I then chose what I felt were logical/significant break points between variations.  Example: the addition of the oil hole and the scope holes to the Model No. 94.

Daisy stopped making the Model 94 in 1962.  It was not called a Red Ryder after 1958, but rather the Western Carbine.  There was not another Red Ryder until 1972, when the Model 1938 Red Ryder appeared.  So that leaves a gap of about 14 years when no Red Ryders were made.

Gary Garber

daisybbgunner@aol.com
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 10:33am

Hey Gary

Hate to pick,but in 1972 wasn't it a NO 1938,not model 1938,they were later LOL

Stevec

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 11:23am

Steve,

You are absolutely correct.  Originally, the "No. 1938."

GG

daisybbgunner@aol.com
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 11:48am

Gary

Sorry to tease you like that.You have forgotten more then I know about the Daisy rifles

Stevec

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 12:06pm

Steve,

I know you and know that's not true!  You've a wealth of Daisy expertise.

GG

daisybbgunner@aol.com
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 6:18pm

I bought another Daisy Model 94 and it is very unusual.  I think it falls somewhere between a Variant 7 and an unknown category.

It does have the gold etched image of  a cowboy on horse roping a steer.  It does not have RR initials aft of the horse and rider;  it does have a round  gold seal with

what appears to be a cougar on top and a date in the middle where the RR intials should be.  It does not have the fake hammer. That is not unusual because some do and some do not.

If you read Gary Garber's "Encyclopedia" from page 319 to 321 you will see what I am refering to; those specimens that have the silk screened receivers should have the RR initials aft of the horse and rider, this one does not, it has the gold seal.  I think this is unusual.

It does not have a saddle ring, but I do not know if this is unusual becase I didn't see anything in the "Encyclopedia" about the absence of a saddle ring.

The only problem with my attempting to categorize this specimen is that I am doing it from the auction photos, have not recceived the gun yet so I do not know what Reg No it has, so I guess it could have been manufactured at Rogers, Arkansas and that would solve my mystery because Gary's book does not cover the Rogers plant with this model; I think the only exception that he made was the shotgun specimens.

POSTSCRIPT: 15Jul09  The mystery is solved concerning the receiver etching;  I received this specimen today and it was made at the Rogers factory so this variant would not be covered in Mr. Garber's "Encyclopedia."

semper fi
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 3:40am

Hey Guy

All 94s were not Red Ryders.The later ones were Western Carbines.I think you have is what I call the plain jane 94.I believe you will find that it is shorter then the other 94s.Made in Rogers.Mine does have the fake hammer

Stevec

willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 10:28am

Steve, you are right in the 5 ring; this little guy is 30" in length, smaller than it's brother models, and is a "Plain Willie."  No saddle ring, fake hammer, safety or

forearm band,  but it does have a oil hole, scope holes and fancy checkered plastic forearm, but a very plain plastic stock; does not even have the shooter's pledge.

A very big however though, it is very accurate and is quite the hard hitter, so the little guy has a big heart.Smile

It was made at the Rogers factory, and has RegNo G223367, dubbed the No 94 Daisy Western Carbine, and advertised as part of Daisy's Gold Medal Series as indicated by Gary Garber's "Encyclopedia."  And  Gary had written that artist Fred Harmon had discontinued the Red Ryder comic strip so Daisy decided to rename this gun the "Western Carbine."

Thanks for the input, Steve.

semper fi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic