Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy side safety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy side safety
    Posted: November-25-2018 at 4:41pm
Hi, Does anyone know how the Daisy side safety works?

I have a model 400 with a side safety which was working fine until I changed the stock screws and now it seems to be disconnected.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2018 at 10:55pm
The safety uses the lever to reset the safety when the gun is cocked. The trigger uses 2 springs, it may be that one has become disconnected.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 12:08am
Hi Cobalt327,

I have found that you are correct about the two trigger springs and one had become disconnected on my Daisy 400, but when I get it all back together with both springs in place, the safety still does not set automatically and lock in safe position as before.

There must be another trick involved; 

Does the safety slide have to be in the forward or reverse position before replacing the trigger assembly?

Does the lever have to be cocked or uncocked before inserting the trigger assembly?

Is there something else that has to be done first?

I have tried the different positions and still the safety does not work as it should.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you, regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 7:44pm
It has been a long time since I had one of the guns around that use that safety, it was an 1105. I recall the lever hits the safety when the lever is cocked. The safety cannot be moved to "FIRE" until the lever is closed against the receiver once the gun is cocked and is ready to fire.
A couple possibilities: One is that the "tail" of the safety has broken off, One is that the safety has rotated in the receiver causing it to not align as it should, but I would expect that to show up pretty readily as the slider being 'crooked' in the receiver, if you follow.

I have some info from a factory manual on removing/replacing these safeties and apparently they're not really designed to be reused, at least according to the info. Instead, they recommend replacing the plastic slider upon reassembly. I'll try to attach the manual pages here.

gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

It has been a long time since I had one of the guns around that use that safety, it was an 1105. I recall the lever hits the safety when the lever is cocked. The safety cannot be moved to "FIRE" until the lever is closed against the receiver once the gun is cocked and is ready to fire.
A couple possibilities: One is that the "tail" of the safety has broken off, One is that the safety has rotated in the receiver causing it to not align as it should, but I would expect that to show up pretty readily as the slider being 'crooked' in the receiver, if you follow.

I have some info from a factory manual on removing/replacing these safeties and apparently they're not really designed to be reused, at least according to the info. Instead, they recommend replacing the plastic slider upon reassembly. I'll try to attach the manual pages here.

Thank you Cobalt327, the drawings help a lot.

I don't believe that the tail is broken off, but there must be a 'trick' on how the trigger springs work with the whole assembly. Just putting it all back together does not get it working correctly, so there must be a technique for the correct assembly.

Your drawings will help.

Thanks again, regards, gkenny.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic