Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Buy & Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisys for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisys for sale
    Posted: May-30-2017 at 8:52am
I saw this at GTA, it was originally posted by trackerbuddy, thought I'd pass it along:

[quote author=trackerbuddy]
I came across these listings at Garth's, a pretty good auction house in Columbus OH

Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 11:03pm
Some nice guns, thanks.
Gary
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 1:28pm
Gary, if you don't mind me asking- what is your favorite Daisy?

Mark
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 10:16am
Difficult choice but I would go with the Daisy Model 80 Long Rifle. It was my first BB gun many years ago.
Strangely the one I shoot the most is probably at the bottom of my collectables list. A Daisy 201 pistol. Keep one in the garage and shoot it 5 or 6 times a week, one 'magazine' full of BB's at a time. Good practice for my powder burners, if I can pull that trigger smoothly the S&W, Glock......... are easy to do. It is cheap to shoot and convenient. Shoot at 20 feet an less. Cocking it is good practice for puling back the slide on a PB too.
Use to use one of the old Marksman 1010's but this hold more BB's.

cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 2:48pm
Thanks! I know what you mean about having a soft spot for your first BB gun. I have an older 104 that reminded me of my first one which was the 102 Cub. I shoot the 104 at least as much, if not more than any of my others. It was in very poor shape all the way 'round when I found it in a yard sale, so I modified it with a barrel extension to use a model 25 shot tube and put in a new Red Ryder spring (shimmed 5/8") along w/new seals from Ken @ Daisy Gun Works. It's accurate and shoots about 320 fps and is a favorite for sure.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 10:23am
That is a lot of Zip for a BB gun. I am amazed at the improvements you make to them.
Gary
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 6:07pm
What really took me by surprise was the increase in MV I got from swapping a new production 1938B Red Ryder spring into my 499. It went from ~ 235 fps to over 420 fps average (high of 430 fps)! Not a fluke, this was repeated by another fellow, and his is more accurate than it was stock, to boot. I'm still working on my sights, I'm now using open sights from a Daisy 953 for shooting offhand in the woods, etc. It's not a target gun per se any longer.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 10:34am
Interesting. I thought one of the reasons they used the weaker spring was to improve accuracy. (and perhaps to make it easier on the backstops). Nice to know you can get more zip out of one and still hold a good zero. Over 400 for a BB gun is hot!
Gary
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 8:44pm
I agree on both counts. I figured I'd be giving up some accuracy but turns out not to be the case. I believe you are on point regarding the lower velocity helping with the backstop not having to be excessively thick/expensive/complicated and of course to help control ricochets. Overall, the superior efficiency of the 499 really shines in this application. And I've gotten used to muzzle loading BBs- maybe not as convenient as a lever action repeater like the Red Ryder but a whole bunch easier and quicker than loading single shot pellets for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic