Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dating a No 111 Model 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 5:31pm
Information provided by Orin Ribar, Curator, Daisy Museum:

The # 111 Model 40 Red Ryder was introduced in 1940 adn produced through 1953.  The cast iron lever was used on models through 1946.  They were changed to die cast aluminum from 1947 through 1949. They changed from wood to plastic stocks in 1950.  Your gun is the Model built in 1945 through 1946.

Value depends on condition of gun, what you would be willing to take or what someone would be willing to give.  Value range is $75-$375.

Orin Ribar

Curator

DRIZ10225 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRIZ10225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 7:04pm
IM LOOKING FOR THE CAST IRON LEVER FOR ONE IF ANYBODO HAS ONE PLEASE CONCACT ME PLEASE.  Cry   BY THE WAY IT IS FOR A 1940 111 MODEL 40. IWOULD LIKE TO FIND ONE AND FINALLY HANG IT ON THE WALL IN A CASE. 
DRIZ10225@HOTMAIL.COM    DAN RISLEY  PHONE 630-300-8313
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 3:55pm
Ihave a cast iron cocking lever for the 111-40; they are....expensive.
Semper Fi
postal1964 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postal1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 1:55am
trying to find out when my red ryder bb gun was made it says red ryder carbine no 111 model 40 pats 880.555-1,062855 other pats pending daisy mfg plymouth michigan usa the barrel is a silver color so is the trigger the lever is cast iron cast iron  the wood is light in color a blond color and the wood is shinny and smooth so is the red ryder in the stock looks like it was stamped on the stock not burned in the bands are the same silverish color the one on the barrel is peened the one on the forearm is spot welded any info would help thank. can email pics too just give me email
111 40
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 6:37pm
HI;  the band on the forearm is not welded, it can be easily removed by placing a block of wood on the butt side and gently hammer nudged forward.  If the front sight barrel band is peened, and not spot welded, then you have an original copper banded Red Ryder with the copper plating worn.  The silver appearance of the barrel and the bands is indicative of heavy usage....I have two like the one you have described.  There are three ways that you can proove out my theory: 
once you can remove the forearm band from the specimen, look at the underside of the band and if it is copper colored.... bingo.

is the rear sight adjustable?  (might be a little screw forward of the V sight blade).

remove the shot tube, and at the very end check out the loadingchute, if it is narrow....bingo.

but the key is the peened barrel band front sight and the inside of the forearm band

Semper Fi
postal1964 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postal1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2012 at 8:07am
thanks if you go on you tube i put up two videos  of the gun you can look at it, its under- vintage red ryder gun-  or RED RYDER VINTAGE GUN- name scott hanstein first video not that great but the second is better you can see the gun the gun looks unused on the wood, but i'm no expert thanks
111 40
Worfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Worfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the information i have read already. It appears that I might have one of the ones made between 1947 and 1949. Really old looking with the Red Rider etched in the left side of wood, not iron lever, and doesn't appear to have any adjustments for sights. the barrel end screws out also. My question is there is a small piece infront of the rear sight but does not seem to move. any additional information would be appreciated.
Thanks

oldwizzer View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 2:48pm
That part is the spring anchor! Its not suppose to move unless you intend to take the gun apart, and that requires a special fork spring removing tool. 
Ejwills.
Ejwills
the fuse View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the fuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 5:23pm
Another thing to consider is that the shot tube and the stock can easily be replaced, by former owners,  if they were worn out or cracked some time in their past. Wood burned stocks are easy to spot with a little experience. Dirt build up can look similar. 
All I'm for is the liberty of the individual.
RedRyderUSA View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRyderUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 7:47pm
I have a 1947 variation with aluminum cocking lever but the shot tube has the narrow schute and stock looks burned in. Red ryder logo seems thin. Do the RR logos get rubbed thin with heavy usage?  Pressed in logos seem deep.  I know it hasn't been sanded. Also read on daisy kings site that some guns could have an older shot tube and some could have gotten the cast iron lever. The last No 111 Mod 40 was made March 16th 1954. I have one of the last ones made, March 14th 1954.
Be Independent!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic