Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dating the Daisy model 95

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dating the Daisy model 95
    Posted: June-24-2018 at 6:14pm
I was looking over a few of my model 95 Daisys and noticed some differences that might help date them. I have read that pre stamped scope holes started in 1968 and that before 1973, rear sights had a square notch. After 1973, the rear sight had a v notch. A safety was added in 1979 along with the plastic loading gate. The wooden forearm replaced the molded one in 1983.I don't know how accurate  any of that information is . Does anyone know when then they changed the rear sights from ramp to screw adjust or when they moved the oil hole from the left side to the right side?  
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 1:25am

I have read that the scope holes weren't used until '68 on the model 95. Generally speaking, scope holes began in late '55, same time as the "oil here" hole was started and lasted until at least 1968, and possibly as late as '72. The model 95 was one of, if not THE longest running model of the wide frame guns, lasting from around 1962 until at least 2003.

Reg. No.s I have recorded for the model 95 that have scope holes are as follows:

A191642 Woodstock

A662590 holes have inserts, eBay auction, frame only

A797644 (Woodstock)

A839096

B299935 Woodstock 700 Shot (Daisy bullseye lever w/line )

B461509

B595868 (blond stock, plastic forearm)

B764395 Possibly Quick Skill

B975417 Quick Skill Grant Stace

C667947 Plastic Schnabel forearm

I’m not sure about when sight notches changed. I believe the lever design is another way to get a rough idea of when a gun was made.

almyjmoore View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 10:37am
Thanks Cobalt 327, I'm writing it down.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 9:10pm
Another difference in the 95 that may help date them is the shape of the buttstock (raised comb like a Monte Carlo style with curved metal lever or straight style with straight lever) as well as the forearm (shape, plastic or wood). I have some photos of various model 95 guns taken from the interweb, if you think they could be useful to you email me and I'll send them to you.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 10:59pm
I would be interested in the various model 95's pictures you have. I don't know how to find your email address. almyjmoore@yahoo.com
It would be nice if someday we could come up with the dates when changes were made.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 5:48am
Originally posted by almyjmoore almyjmoore wrote:

I would be interested in the various model 95's pictures you have. I don't know how to find your email address. almyjmoore@yahoo.com
It would be nice if someday we could come up with the dates when changes were made.
I've sent the 95 photos and a folder with info on the different levers. I do think the levers will be the easiest way to group guns as far as basic eras when they were made. If daisy would just publish their data on Lot and Register numbers, dating most guns would be an easy task. But the way it is now, it's a mess.

Good luck!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almyjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 1:13pm
I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this. It will take me some time to digest all of the information. Thanks, Al
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 8:34pm
I have a TON more info that I've compiled from various sources. I had hoped to get folks here to contribute to it, in order to have a "Daisy Guns of Rogers" type data base, free for the viewing, but the idea was pretty much stillborn. I'll send you a link to a rough draft and you can take a look when/if you care to.
BurghDude View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurghDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 2:14pm
I'd like the link too, if you don't mind.  

Ltssvn@gmail.com

Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 3:24pm
Me too please. I've revived/frankensteined several wide frames. One man's trash......
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic