Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disassembly Tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disassembly Tool
    Posted: March-30-2021 at 4:09pm
I know this subject has been addressed before, but I have found a solution to making a disassembly spring compressor tool that I finally can use with regularity.

I'm referring to the removal of the assembly from the receiver of the Red Ryders, 105s, model 10s, 111 model 40s, etc. I've tried, with some luck, using the steel rods on a wooden handle. I've even consulted with Daisy and they gave me specs on making one from a piece of copper tubing. I've experimented with different materials but always found fault with size and/or strength.

Well, here is what seems to work best for me. I bought a piece of 1/2 inch galvanized steel pipe. (1/2 inch I.D.) the exterior is just shy of 7/8 inch. As some of us know, the I.D. of the receivers is 7/8. Cutting the end of the pipe to about 2.5 inches deep and leaving 3/8 inch legs on opposing sides. Remove the sections between the 3/8 legs. This gives strong steel "feet" to push the spring and is close enough to the sides of the receiver to not fall past the spring. The assembly tabs on the end of the mechanism will fit within the arc of the 3/8 legs.

Cutting the steel pipe was a little tricky. I didn't try using a hacksaw. An angle grinder with a good steel cutting wheel did the trick. Just don't get too impatient and keep an eye on the sparks!   
Air-It-Is
Gumslinger View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 9:26pm
Sounds like tough work for an even tougher tool. Thanks for a good tip--I never felt comfortable using flimsy tools on comparably delicate projects. Time to fire up the grinder!
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 1:22pm
Jay, let me know how this works out for you.   I used it to remove/replace the plunger on a 105 I customized and to disassemble a 960 pop gun with an even stronger spring. I think it will be my "go to" tool in my group of improvised goodies.   Here's a thought, I chose steel over black iron (even though they're the same size) to take advantage of the "forgivability" of the metal. Don't know if it is critical but it seems to work out.
Air-It-Is
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic