Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy 1938B Red Ryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy 1938B Red Ryder
    Posted: September-04-2021 at 5:30pm
A few years back, I bought a model 1938B which when cocked, felt like it was already partly cocked and when locked up on the sear, only fired at about 20% power, but when cocked again, it was again partly cocked!

I fixed that one but I forget what I did! I think I may have just oiled it because the mainspring seemed to be sticking. I recently found another model 1938B with exactly the same problem. I just oiled that one but without any change.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, how did you fix it!

Thank you for any help you can offer, regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 7:06pm
If the gun was disassembled and when reassembled the spring anchor was placed through the spring instead of all the way behind the spring, it will behave like that. But no amount of oil will help that. You should be able to open the lever and look up inside to see if the anchor is through the spring.

If the gun has an anti beartrap mechanism, that could be hanging up.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

If the gun was disassembled and when reassembled the spring anchor was placed through the spring instead of all the way behind the spring, it will behave like that. But no amount of oil will help that. You should be able to open the lever and look up inside to see if the anchor is through the spring.

If the gun has an anti beartrap mechanism, that could be hanging up.

Thanks for your quick reply Cobalt! The spring is all the way Behind the anchor as it should be!

Now I am really confused! What the heck is causing this?

Regards, gkenny.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 9:02pm
I'm at a loss, Ken. If it was me, I'd go ahead and break it down for a closer inspection.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 7:53am
Those main springs can be an issue. When you take the gun apart make sure to remove the plunger head and slide the spring off of the shaft.   If it looks like a twisted mess, it may not be letting the shaft progress all the way.   

Just a thought. But if you do need a new spring, contact me on my email.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:47am
The spring could also be broken, but if it has distorted or broken outright it would be the first 1938B spring to have done so in my experience. But I've only been inside less than 50 as best as I can document- and the majority of those were post-2000 guns that use the better springs with the ground ends. 

Now, if this was a wide frame like a model 95- that's another story altogether!

Believe it or not, the model 95 that had this spring was still able to muster 200-plus fps shots.

gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 11:12am
[QUOTE=Airitis]Those main springs can be an issue. When you take the gun apart make sure to remove the plunger head and slide the spring off of the shaft.   If it looks like a twisted mess, it may not be letting the shaft progress all the way.   

Just a thought. But if you do need a new spring, contact me on my email. [/QUOT

Thanks for your input Airitis, I will remove the plunger head.
Regards, gkenny.
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by cobalt327 cobalt327 wrote:

The spring could also be broken, but if it has distorted or broken outright it would be the first 1938B spring to have done so in my experience. But I've only been inside less than 50 as best as I can document- and the majority of those were post-2000 guns that use the better springs with the ground ends. 

Now, if this was a wide frame like a model 95- that's another story altogether!

Believe it or not, the model 95 that had this spring was still able to muster 200-plus fps shots.

Thank you, Colbalt, when I take it apart tonight, we will see! Regards, gkenny.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 11:31am
Kenny,   one more thing to look at.   This one is full of "ifs". If the gun previously had the trigger assembly removed. And if it was put back with the anti-beartrap lever above the trigger push down tab, instead of below it.   Then maybe the ani-beartrap lever can't release.   

I just checked a trigger assembly and it can be moved above and below the tab without breaking it.   
Air-It-Is
gkenny View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2021 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Airitis Airitis wrote:

Kenny,   one more thing to look at.   This one is full of "ifs". If the gun previously had the trigger assembly removed. And if it was put back with the anti-beartrap lever above the trigger push down tab, instead of below it.   Then maybe the ani-beartrap lever can't release.   

I just checked a trigger assembly and it can be moved above and below the tab without breaking it.   

Hi Airitis, I just removed the stock. The back of the plunger where it attaches to the sear is almost all the way against the sear and when the lever is activated, it only moves back about 1/2 inch to attach the sear! It dosen't go forward except for that 1/2 inch! That is why it has such low power.

Is this what you mean about the anti-beartrap? 

Is this the problem or is a broken spring? 

How do I know and how do I fix it?

Thanks again, gkenny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic