Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

111-40 Optimum Leather Plunger Seal diameter ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2021 at 9:09pm
I don't know what the drop in power means.

The air tube can get clogged. It shouldn't be a problem if you cleaned it out prior to replacing the seals, though.

I don't think what side makes a difference, but maybe someone else can comment.
twocompassheads View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocompassheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2021 at 9:55pm
   Just a thought about hard to cock and drop in power.  I know the gun has a straight air chamber and not tapered like the 1894 but could the retaining pin be too long and sticking in the air chamber or the back up washer for the seal maybe has been replaced and is also tight in the air chamber.  I have found this in the 1894's and it has caused these problems.  Do you know what the I.D. of the air chamber is?    Not sure what set up is being used on the 111-40.
Keep On Plinking
jackdog View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2021 at 11:25pm
Only two things that affected me on a couple guns that caused loss of power:  the abutment washer hole was too big and air escaped there instead of going thru air tube.  This caused a reduction of about 50% power in a No. 25 that used a leather washer.   Also I had a problem with the air tube length in another 25.  It just was not long enough to push the BB out and go into the barrel area where the air pressure then takes over and propels the shot out. The air tube stopped right after it hit the BB and some of the air pressure escaped thru the BB loading hole and not enough into the barrel. The Air tube length is somewhat critical in the overall design.  Can not be too long to interfere with the loading of the BB during cocking, but needs to go beyond the loading area when gun is shot to impart the air into the barrel.  Just my two cents on this issue assuming the main spring and plunger seals are in good shape..
The 111-40 is a hard cocking gun compared to other pre war Daisy BB guns so I would say that is to be expected.
Rick
Aim Straight
undertaker View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 12:23pm
Yep..its a mystery for sure! You guys have given me more things to check and I will be installing the new leather seals this evening. My other copper band is shooting in the 320 range with its original seals so, I know this one should be doing more. We'll see what happens tonight!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 7:36pm
Update: I installed new leather seals and it was shooting around 275. I swapped the barrel magazine with my other 111 and it started shooting 310-320! So, something is up with the barrel. I cnat see any gaps in the seam but I guess there could be. I used a light along the seam to check it. Any ideas?
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2021 at 11:09pm
I forgot to tell you what I always do when assessing the condition of a Daisy, and I apologize because it could have saved you some time. All I do is replace the original shot tube with a new model 25 shot tube. This works on any gun with a screw-in shot tube with a 7/16-14 threaded abutment. The 25 ST doesn't need to fit the shroud correctly, it's only there to remove the condition of the original ST so the powerplant condition can be seen.

As to why there's such a difference between the two shot tubes, just wear and sloppy tolerances of the shot tube tubing could easily account for the difference you're seeing.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 8:20am
That's ok Cobalt! I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Anyway, I've got a NOS shot tube for a Model 1938 enroute to me. Ill strip the paint on it and blue it to match the 111. Should be good to go!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic