FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on Polishing Antique Air Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on Polishing Antique Air Rifles
    Posted: January-12-2022 at 10:00am
Great choice.
It is yours, you can do what you want.
 But it is nice to appreciate the gun for what it is and the history behind it and to preserve that look for others.
Gary
undertaker View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the opinions. I felt like that would be the general consensus. I will be leaving this one as-is.
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 4:16pm
Yeah, Like putting new chrome bumpers on on an old car
Stevec
Bavaria55n View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bavaria55n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2022 at 10:13am
I agree with Stevec but you will see lots of examples of 'cleaned up' airguns and Colts.
Many people can't resit making them look nice and worth less.
Gary
stevec View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2022 at 3:11pm
Pretty much the same
Stevec
undertaker View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undertaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2022 at 12:44pm
I have a Daisy 1st Model that, so far, I have resisted the temptation to polish. The original nickle plating has turned a smooth, even gray color through the years. Im sure, with little effort, it would polish up to a nice shine. As a long time antique Colt collector, I  know this is a no-no. Collectors like to find them with the original patina. How do BB gun collectors feel about this? Would polishing it decrease the value of my first model ? Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic