Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifying Early 70s Model 99 to Rattletrap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying Early 70s Model 99 to Rattletrap
    Posted: January-08-2023 at 5:38pm
I recently repaired my childhood Model 99 Champion from the early 1970s.  I installed a new bored-out air tube, performance spring, new seals and a new shot tube.  The little gun shoots better than it ever did when I was a kid.  But I still don’t like having to reload the spring-loaded shot tube.  I remember that the rattletrap guns could be reloaded much easier.  And they held about 10 times as many BBs

To finally realize this 50-year-old childhood dream, I’ve purchased an original Model 96 rattletrap shot tube.  I will need to drill the BB loading port in the top of the barrel on my Model 99 to match that of the 96.  I know it’s about 4 inches from the end of the barrel, but I will like a more precise measurement to the center of the loading port hole.  And I would like to know what size the hole needs to be.  The plan is to make this as close to an original Model 99 rattletrap as possible.

Since I don’t have a Model 96 to measure, I would appreciate help from someone that has one. 
zipper28 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zipper28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2023 at 10:41am

The very early model 99's with the bottle cap shot tube had the loading port right behind the front sight, about 1 1/2 " from the end of the barrel.

I checked a 96 and the 9/32 hole was centered about 2 5/8 " from the end of the barrel.

Hope this helps.
teerex.otw View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2023 at 1:39pm
You will also probably need to shorten the barrel shroud to accommodate the “botylecap” tube as the 25/99 type spring-fed tubes are a little longer (the gravity-fed tube probably won’t seat against the abutment washer…I have both a 96 and a 99 and can do some checking on this if you like
Rex
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2023 at 2:09pm
added:
I got curious and checked the “bottlecap” tubes from both of my 96’s, and neither one eould even start to thread into the 99…there is between 3/16” and 1/4” difference in length (the threaded portion on these tubes is about 1/4@ long, so that makes sense).
Also, if you shorten the 99 shroud, the bottlecap will hit the front sight.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2023 at 2:26pm
Another option you might consider is a model 299 barrel shroud. It is the right length and set up for a 96 shot tube, all other parts should interchange.
J.G. had a couple on hand last time I checked.
Airitis View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 11:07am
Just to get a little crazy here, you could shorten the shroud back to the front sight. Then, replace the bottle cap with the brass end of a 12 gage shotgun shell.   The shotgun shell is about the same diameter as the front cap of a model 25 shot tube and should fit inside the shroud.   This might take a little doing and I'd try the fit before cutting.   
I've done this to "create" a custom shot tube in the past with successful outcome.
Air-It-Is
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 11:09am
The spring loaded shot tube, at least the new ones, are quite a bit better than the bottlecap shot tube for MV and accuracy. 

I use a silicone BB "speed loader" to fill the spring loaded shot tube magazine. Takes no longer to load than a bottlecap gun. You can get one if you order some Marksman BBs at Pyramyd Air. Probably sold elsewhere w/o BBs.

Link to Marksman BBs
 https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Marksman_Premium_Grade_Steel_BBs_5_1_Grains_Speedloader_1_300ct/439 (there are also Marksman "Laserhawk" BBs listed on the PA site- they are NOT the same as the Marksman Premium Grade Steel BBs).

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 1:04pm
Here’s something else that’s fun…a while back the spring messed up in one of my 25 tubes, rather than look for a replacement spring, I glued a hardwood dowel in the loading port @ the abutment end and made a single-shot tube out of it. In a 95 with a Cobalt spring those bb’s come out smoking !
Handy_Cruiser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handy_Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by teerex.otw teerex.otw wrote:

Another option you might consider is a model 299 barrel shroud. It is the right length and set up for a 96 shot tube, all other parts should interchange.
J.G. had a couple on hand last time I checked.

Good to know.  Based on your post, I researched the 299.  It's pretty well the same gun as the early 70's Model 99, but with the bottle cap shot tube.  I can buy a 1975-77 Model 299 used for around $100.   The only difference would be the loss of the gold "Champion" logo on the side of the receiver.  Plus, I would still have a perfectly good and improved Model 99 to resale.

Truthfully, I only have a small amount of love for my Model 99.  My first Daisy was a Model 1894 that I loved.  But eventually I broke the plastic stock and my parents got pretty mad about it. I was only about 6 or 7 at the time.  A year later, I got this Model 99 for Christmas.  It seemed to shoot further, but was hard to load and never as accurate.  Seems better now after the upgraded spring, air tube and shot tube.

My goal with all of this is just to leave any grandchildren I don't have yet with a vintage all-metal and wood Daisy BB gun.  For that, the ease of loading a rattletrap gun is a plus.  With shipping and sale tax, the mid-70's Model 299 and a performance rebuild kit like I put in my 99 is going to cost me $165.16.  I'm already out about $65 on repair parts for the Model 99 with the kit, new shot tube and a used cocking handle.  It will not bring too much more than that on eBay even rebuilt like it is now.  And all of this for a gun that costed about $30 in 1974.

I need to sit down and do some "gazintas" as Jethro used to say.

PS:  I've done some environmental work at the old Rogers factory where these were probably made.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2023 at 2:16am
Did you get a chance to visit the Daisy museum while you were there ? My daughter lives in Ar. and I took a “field trip” during a visit…The museum isn’t huge, but if you’re a Daisy fan, you’ll find something there that will impress you !
$165. is getting on the pricey side of things. I got one of the aforementioned 299 barrels, and using parts from various “donor” guns (mostly a pretty trashy 96) and a couple of homemade parts, it came in at around $50.
Wish I could send a picture, I like the way this one turned out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic