Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

model 499 peep sight compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: model 499 peep sight compatibility
    Posted: March-13-2023 at 8:02am
I recently aquired a daisy 499 at an unbelievable price. A 499 not a 499B. Its an Interesting model as it has a very detailed stock made of what appears to be some sort of solid platic,It shows some wear on the rear stock and the lever but over all its in great shape.It however came with no rear Peep sight,I understand Those things are going for 50 dollars on ebay and I paid less then that for this rifle. I had inquired and tried to purchase a rear peep sight from Daisy a couple years ago for a 99 I was rebuilding and was told they were no longer available but they had a newer fully adjustable sight available.Remembering this I ordered the Daisy 5899 sight. The new sight does not fit. The "square" base at the rear,where the sight would sit is just is to big to get it on...and if I did get it on it looks like it would be in contact with the top rear of that stock. they do show a 499B in the instructions which has a very different sight base(almost hour glass shaped)from the square one on mine...Am i missing somehing here? Is there another part i need? Does anyone have some sugestions?
That don`t taste like Ketchup!!!!!!
teerex.otw View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2023 at 9:58am
The early 499 had the same sight as the 99/299.
I had to build my own as it was n.l.a. from Daisy and I couldn’t find used.
Shane Bruce (Restomod Daisy) did a video on exactly this…well worth checking out.
GPK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 7:50am
Thank you,I am well aware of Shane Bruce and I use his videos as a constant reference in my work. I was looking for a permanent solution for the sight as this is really a single shot target rifle and i wanted something better...most places that sell the sight say its compatible with the 499(its not)...i was thinking there was an extra piece or something in the proceedure i was missing...
That don`t taste like Ketchup!!!!!!
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 5:41pm
Sorry, I thought you were interested in the original-type sight. The 499b definitely has a different mount, as well as a cutout on the top of the stock for clearance.
I did a side-by-side comparison of my 99 and 499b, and this is what I found:
The front sights are approx. the same height, so that wouldn’t be an issue.
Although the rear mounts are different, it may be possible to fab an adapter plate to allow the new sight to work, top stock screw a n sight screw are in same relative positions. You would lose about .050”-.060” at the bottom of adjustment, and would still have to carve out a notch on the stock (no way around that one), and probably have to change some hardware.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 5:54pm
I also dug out the 499b manual. While it shows both types of sight bases and has instructions for removing the old-style sight, it makes no mention of how the new sight is supposed to be installed on an old base, and doesn’t say anything about any kind of adapter…This is intriguing, as I would much prefer the new-style on my 99. This may be the basis of yet another experiment (and possibly a future post).
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 7:02pm
They made an adapter to mount a Williams peep sight but good luck finding one- I've seen just this one.

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 8:00pm
Haven’t seen this before (but with Daisy seems like I’m seeing something new every day !) Probably didn’t make very many, or offer for very long.
At one time I considered adapting a Mossberg S-130 sight to a Ryder, but the sight cost over 3 times what I paid for the gun !
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2023 at 8:08pm
Mark,
I was just reading over the instructions and saw reference to a model 1498…can’t find anything on it.
Ever seen one, or have any idea what it is (was) ?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teerex.otw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 4:03am
Ok…It’s possible to adapt a new style sight to the old style mount, I just did it to my 99. The system I came up with consists of 3 pieces, and may end up being 4-pieces. consists of a saddle-like spacer, a narrower mount that goes on top, and a .075” longer screw. Also had to cut a notch in the top of the stock and level the top of the old base.
cobalt327 View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobalt327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 10:11am
Here's one Terry Cowger made for his 95 over at the High Road thread:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic