Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Daisy Products > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy Models 96 & 95

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy Models 96 & 95
    Posted: May-08-2009 at 6:00pm

I recently obtained 6 Daisy Model 96 BB guns; I noticed many variations in butt stock(MonteCarlo vs Straight Comb)& forearm(wood vs plastic) rear sights(notched elevator vs screwdriver adj) and front sights(plastic ramp vs metal blade, with no asignment of alpha designations to differentiate between them.

I also have 4 Daisy Model 95's, and the variations are w/o safety (M95) and w/safety (M95B), however there are differences with sights, both front and rear, metal blade and plastic ramp on front sight; notched ramp elevator and screw adj  on rear sights, with no alpha designator to differntiate.  I mention the above and below to see if anyone else experiences difficulties in obtaining spare parts for replacements; it's sort of nightmarish at times.

My experience with these models as with most Daisy models is that they are quite accurate; I have not yet cranked off any rounds in excess of 35 feet, nor any outdoors but with the warmer weather I will be seeking target-safe areas for myself and 8 grandchildren (girls and boys).

There are differences in the shot tubes also; some measure 11-3/4" long, with the "button" either 1-3/4" or 2-3/4" from the top.

Semper Fi
DaisyBBgunner View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2009 at 10:47am
You can learn the date each was manufactured (Month/Year and sometimes the date) from the Reg. No. stamped on the frame or Lot No. stamped on the right side of the barrel.  Either post them here or send them to my email address below.
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2009 at 6:23pm
Hi  daisybbgunner, thank you for the input on dateing these BB guns; I have recently acquired about 32 Daisy BB rifles through the auction route and am learning in the process, and how!  I am going through the process of teaching my grandchildren how to shoot safely (20 years a Marine) and I include the girls, although that can be a challenge to get 'em away from the computers.  My ulterior motive is to spend quality time with them so that they will have  memories of  learning how to shoot with GrandPa.  They are mostly urban or small city kids and do not get the opportunity  to shoot (Massachusetts is tough).
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2009 at 6:04am
Count yourself as fortunate.  My grandkids live on the east coast, and one set of parents say, "No Guns!"  Argh.
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:57am

The purpose of my description of the different styles of rifles within a specific model category was to see if other Daisy fans had similiar discoveries within the Model 95 and 96 species, and if there are other models that have similiar repair parts problems. 

If you order a spare part for a Model 95 or 96, you have to be very specific, and for example, measure the shot tubes total length and the distance from the tip to the closing "button" or tab. 

It is also amazing to me to observe the different butt stock and forearm configurations, some of which provide for adapting a sling and some don't; also some have pre-drilled holes for mounting a scope and some do not.

It would appear that the design engineers didn't bother promulgating ECN'S (equipment change notices) for the production lines, OR the productions line folks just put on any part available at the time.  I guess that would ensure that the daily production goals would be met!

The problem with that methodology is safety concerns and if the production line was/is free to substitute parts as the guns moved down the assembly line there would be no way to figure what went wrong out in the "field."

Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 4:35pm

Update on one of my Daisy Model 96's; after a prolonged exchange of emails, and receiving an assortment of front sights, I finally had to send the rifle off to the repair shop to hopefully have a front sight affixed thereto.

However, I was having a lot of fun practicing "Instinctive shooting" techniques with it and was really in a quandrey about "Did I really want to get the thing repaired?"  It is definately a extraordinarily hard hitting shooter compared to many others; the stock was in terrible condition when I received it and after sanding it down, restaining it a golden oak and applying linseed oil it just SPARKLES with new life.

I know there are purists out there that would shake their heads in disapproval at "restoring" an old artifact, but honestly, that poor thing just cried out to me for some help (read "restoration").  It is such a hard shooting son-of-a-gun  that I couldn't resist responding to the plea in it's eye.  There is more in an eye than a BB!Ouch

I will let you know when I get this rifle back from the repair center and report the results of its action.  Sending it off was the only way I was ever going to get that sight restored.

Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 4:35pm
I got that rifle back from the repair shop and it is really performing quite well, still a hard hitter and more accurate than the instinctive shooting bit, although it was fun shooting it without the front sight.  If it falls off I really won't mind (it had to be affixed to the barrel with epoxy) because it did sharpen up my marksmanship skills.
Semper Fi
n1ghtstr1k3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ghtstr1k3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 2:08pm
I have a Model 95 that was my grandfather's and am trying to figure out what year it is.

The Lot No. is M712025.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2009 at 2:46pm
You might try DaisyBBgunner@aol.com for your answer.
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyBBgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2009 at 11:37am
1977 is the year.

I have a Model 95 that was my grandfather's and am trying to figure out what year it is.

The Lot No. is M712025.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Gary Garber
daisybbgunner@aol.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic