Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power line 856

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtcrossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power line 856
    Posted: April-22-2010 at 12:41pm
  I acquired a 856 from a friend. I would like to know what years this was manufactured ?
uses both bb & pellets. daisy address is Rogers,AR.

willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 12:59pm
Well, there were about 3 variations of this model manufactured:

Model 856 Powerline

Model 856F Powerline

Model 856C Powerline

While I could not find any definative dates on the years of production I would estimate the years 1984-2004; I did find information that this model was discontinued in 2004.

For somone to help you find the precise date, you need to furnish the Register or Lot Number that is stamped either on the receiver or somewhere on the barrel shroud.
Semper Fi
jtcrossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtcrossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 1:43pm
 Thanks for the help. I haven't delt with air guns since the jr high NRA team ( early 50's) and my RED RYder carbine (1949 issue,wished I had it now).  Since those days, I've been into large bore
reloading, target shooting, etc.
 Any way the lot # is 0500 21624. I saw no other designator for model # other than plain 856.
I would appreciate any other info people may have out there. Thanks again.
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:54pm
A note of caution; the Powerline series in particular can be dangerously lethal, as can most other air guns, but there has been some nasty litigation pertaining to them.
Semper Fi
jtcrossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtcrossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 2:57pm
 Willie, I agree about caution.  many people think a bb gun, pellet gun, sling shot,etc are toys.
WRONG!!  any mechanism that propels a projectile can be lethal, use good sense and caution.
Sounds like maybe Marine corp ?  If so you would know the p-38 from c-rats can be leathal.
By the way, I also got a Crosman 66 power master, ser.#903200359. Neighbor had both on carport full of mudwasps. 
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 4:41pm
Wink
Semper Fi
Desertdweller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertdweller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 6:55am
There was some "nasty litigation"  concerning the Powerline 856 and 880 models a few years ago, but I recall that the guns were not found to be the cause of the accidents.  This would have been about the time of the discontinuation of the 856, so it may have influenced the decision to end production.

The injuries were found caused by user error: intentional misuse and carelessness.

The 856 and 880 models do have the power to kill a human being.  Their use requires common sense, safety training, and adult supervision for younger shooters.  This caution should apply to all airguns.

I own a late-model 856 and two 880's, which I shoot regularly.  I recently tore down one of my 880's and rebuilt it.  I could find no design flaw that would cause it to be unsafe.  Since the internals of the 856 are almost identical to the 880, I feel that gun is just as safe.  Any gun, air or powder burner, that I felt was unsafe to use, I would not use.

The nice thing about multi-pump pneumatics like the 856 and 880 is that the shooter can adjust the power level by the number of pumps.  In a way, that in itself is a safety feature.  Another safety advantage is that there is no mainspring to cause a cocking lever to suddenly return to "closed" position if the sear is accidentally tripped before being secured.

My late model 856 is made to shoot pellets only.  So there is no chance of a pellet falling back into the BB feed port, as can happen in the 880.  This would not create a safety problem, but would probably require a teardown to unblock.  The 856, using the forestock as a charging lever, is easier on the fingers than the charging lever on the 880.

So, both these models are safe to use.  They both use the same cross-bolt manual safety located just above the trigger.  As adults, it is our responsibility to teach the youngsters how to safely handle air rifles.  I teach them to handle air guns the same way I would teach them to handle and respect firearms.

Air gun manufacturers take safety issues very seriously.  All the new air guns in my collection came with literature emphasizing safety.  Daisy even more so than the others.  They know their products are likely to be the first guns used by a great many youngsters.  They are also not afraid to make changes to improve the safety of their guns.  As an example, consider the relocation of the BB loading port on the Red Ryder.

So, no, the Powerline 856 and 880 are not unsafe air rifles.  But, they are adult airguns.
melkrei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melkrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 8:48am
That was a great reply and you are right on the money concerning kids and safety. Back in the day I was a Hunter Safety instructor here in northern California, for many years, working mostly with kids, new hunters and 4-H. I couldn't stress enough how important gun safety is.

I started every class by handing one of the students  a closed chamber .32 semi-auto. Told him/her to point the pistol at the eagle on top of the flag staff and told them to see what the triger pull was like.  Everyone was paying attention when the gun went off, which I had loaded with blanks. Lesson number one, never take a gun from anyone without the chamber open, and NEVER assume that a gun is empty when you pick it up.  It's a wonder that little gun still works as it was almost always dropped on the floor after firing.
MEL KREI
nick 420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick 420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 3:16am
is it an eagle if so I had one as a kid a few accully but will u sell
nick 420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick 420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 3:17am
I want to buy it if its an eagle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic