Daisy Museum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Daisy Airguns > Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daisy model 403

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quentin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daisy model 403
    Posted: December-25-2010 at 12:50pm
My brother bought me an old air rifle a few years ago for my birthday, the guy he bought it off of said it was from the 40's but i cant find anything on the internet about it.

It looks like a bigger version of a red ryder but it shoots .177 pellets and it has a little round red clip that holds up to 5 shots that you spin to the next pellet after every shot. 
Can anyone tell me the year or value or any information pertaining to this gun?
I can take pictures if needed.
Quentin72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quentin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 3:22pm
No one knows anything about this gun?
1900colt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1900colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 4:33pm
1970's lever action pellet gun...they made a number of differnt ones. I just picked up the 454 model of that gun.

-Mark
willielumplump View Drop Down
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 2:02pm
Take a look at www.GunBroker.com item 206829603; it is for a Daisy "Featherweight" .177 Pellet Gun (read Rifle) that I just bought at auction, and it appears to have some kind of red colored thing at the forward edge of the forearm.  Bidding ended at $125.00 and I was prepared to go higher; there were a total of 19 bids for this item, the first one up for auction that I had seen in the two years that I have been haunting the auction sites.
Semper Fi
Quentin72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quentin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 6:50pm
yeah thats the one for sure! Mine doesnt say feather weight on it but yeah thats the exact gun. Everything is the same down to the decorative markings on the metal. Mine just says daisy 403, but on the other side right above the safety switch it says "EXP sport rated". So theyre kind of rare im guessing?
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 7:28pm
Hi Quentin:  I received the Daisy Featherweight Pellet Gun .177 Cal today, and the red pellet magazine is as you descriibed, holds 5 pellets, and you have to manually rotate it after you cock the gun, then take it off safe from the slide safety button on the right side of the receiver.

This is a really neat pellet gun, shoots with force and is quite accurate.  It was odd not to find any patent, lot, or register numbers on this gun, nor the location of manufacture.  The only indication that it is a Daisy product is the stamping on the cocking lever that simply indicates "Daisy;: and  there is no model number identification.  The receiver indicates "Featherweight Pellet Gun .177 Cal., and nothing else.  It has a very nice wood stock and forearm, adjustble notched elevator blade f/rear sight, fixed low profile plastic front sight blade, black painted barrel and receiver, and a black painted aluminum cocking lever. 

The Blue Book of Airguns, Eighth Edition, lists Models 400 (1971-72), 403 (1973-76, 404 (1974-76), 450 (1972-73), 452 (1973 only), 453 (1974-76), and 454 (1974-76).  It identifies all of these models as five-shot roto clip.,  .177 cal. pellet.  Depending on condition, the values range from $15 to $125.

The only entry that stands out is for the Model 403, which reads, "Status of this model not clear."

I tried to Google for a User's Manual with negative results.

I also checked out "The Chronology of Daisy Air Rifles From 1960 to Date;"  Models 400 and 454 are listed together, as are Models 450 and 454, but there is no mention of Model 403.  Perhaps that is why the staus is not clear, as per the Blue Book.

I was surprised to find a Model 400 Pistol listed therein; didn't realize that a rifle, and a pistol, could have the same model number.
Semper Fi
Red Ryder Member
Red Ryder Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willielumplump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 4:04pm
Latest on these  Daisy Model 400 series rotary clip pellet rifles; I have purchased two additional specimens, which can be viewed simply by clicking on the following links:

I have not yet received them, but if the first one is any indication, they should be a lot of fun to shoot.  I would imagine that due diligence will be required so that the red rotary clip does not grow feet and disappear.

The first one that I purchased:

Semper Fi
foamer01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foamer01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2014 at 3:39pm
I see this is an old thread. If you happen to see this post and still have this gun let me know if you would. I have one and the cylinder is gone and would like to make one if i can get a picture. Thanks!
Diggs28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diggs28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 3:26pm
I have an old (circa 1971) Daisy 400 that uses a red 5 shot rotary clip holding .177 cal. pellets.
The rifle, although a little beaten up, shoots true and is fun to shoot.
I am in search of replacement clips.  I still have the original, but would like to get a couple of spares if at all possible.
Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has one kicking around.
GPK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 10:57pm
I have a daisy 401 featherweight pellet gun...same description with the 5 shot red cylinder,I at first had problems lining it up the cylinder to fire...but once I did it shoots better then expected...replacement cylinders would be awesome...to bad I can not seem to ad pictures.
<
That don`t taste like Ketchup!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic